NEED HELP: NY registration problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Stingray23

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally got it registered. And as a passenger vehicle. No commercial plates for me. Its registered as a suburban. no issues. so happy

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
new joisey ******

you ***** lol how dare you ......yeah i actualy got lucky when i got my truck my dealer registered the truck for me an i had no problems with it ...but yea dmvs are just jammed packed with completely useless people an way to much paper work for anyone to know what they are doing:Grenade:

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Problem Registering Raptor in NY

So I got my truck in VA and was given temp VA plates. Took a while for the dealer to get me the plates but they finally came and they are commercial plates. DMV is saying that the unladen weight is over the amount for a passenger vehicle and that for me to register it in NY I would have to have a permanent top, sign an affidavit and also have the truck weighed...I know that this is just an issue because I bought the truck in VA and now trying to register it in NY.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you mean by a permanent top? In my area we have two plates one for passenger vehicles and one for larger trucks, some can fall in-between and have ether. The dealer put truck plates on mine, which I would rather have anyway.

Last edited:

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The problem in NY is that commercial vehicles cannot drive on parkways. This is the law from NY DMV

Modifications that Change a Vehicle Registration from Commercial Class to Passenger Class
Vans (Part 106.3 (d)). You can register a van in the passenger class if the van has:
· at least one side window behind the driver, and

· at least one seat or set of seat fittings that is installed behind the driver, or

· camping equipment that is installed behind the driver. "Camping equipment" indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle. If this equipment is removed and you use the van, you must register the van as a commercial vehicle.

Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (c)). You can register a pick-up truck in the passenger class if the pick-up truck complies with all of these requirements:
· The pick-up truck has an unladen weight of more than 5,000 lbs. and is used for non-commercial purposes.

· The pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements.

· A permanent camper top completely encloses the truck bed, and which has one or more side windows.

· The pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or permanent camping equipment that are installed in the truck bed. "Camping equipment" indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle. If this equipment is removed and you use the pick-up truck, you must register the pick-up truck as a commercial vehicle.

The DMV cannot examine your vehicle to determine the correct registration class. You must determine the correct registration class for your vehicle.

OP
OP
Stingray23

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went through the same thing. I was transferring plates from my trade in and the first DMV I went to wanted to give me new, commercial plates. He explained that since it does not have a permanently fixed camper top that it would have to have commercial plates. This was because it exceeded weight. I said NO WAY. I went to another, larger DMV and told re-filled the registration form and this time I wrote that it does have a permanent camper fixed to the truck and I was able to use my original plates. There is no way they can prove otherwise.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if I have any restrictions in my area with the truck plates or if any will arise in the future. Most truck owners want the truck plates in my area not sure why, could they have any benefits?
I can understand why you would not want them in your area though.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do they define parkway?
I drove all over up state and had no problem for 3 years.

I know not much help, the situation sucks.

Yukon Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter