Howe power steering system noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timbo

Reaction score
I just installed the complete Howe power steering system from RPG. It works great, but is there a way to stop the noise/vibration on the steering rack?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Nope, from my understanding that's just part of the deal. Higher pressures and such.

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, but it's not hurting the truck at all right?

Probably not. If you followed the instructions and were careful with the bleeding of the system you should be OK. The issue comes in with the mass manufactured rack which has some slop in it, I had a new (not reman) rack installed at the same time as my Howe and it has some noise/vibration. Depending on use, you may now go through racks instead of pumps, but that is the trade off until a better solution comes up.

thearizonacowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Timbo Here's a video I made quickly showing typical noise when going with Howe's system. It's completely normal. Just keep an eye on the fittings down by the pump because if you didn't really wrench on them during install, they will leak. It's such a high pressure system that mine was spraying all over until I got under there and went to town with a crowfoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKg4J8WmNEA

Last edited: