How "smooth" is a Raptor really supposed to be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
I'm going to apologize in advance for this. It is not only a newb Raptor question but perhaps even a newb truck question.

I've heard from many that the Raptor is unusually smooth on regular roads thanks to it's suspension. Well, it seems about the same as a regular F-150 to me. I guess I anticipated it feeling as soft, if not softer, than my Acura MDX. It's not. At all.

When I hit bumps I feel them. When I drive over mildly rough asphalt I feel the truck shudder.

Problem is I don't know what's normal so I don't know what's abnormal. The truck was bought used with 6k miles so who knows what it was put through before I got it.

So is the Raptor really Cadillac smooth or am I expecting too much?

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a truck so your expectations need to be corrected. For the off-road vehicle it is to be as comfortable as it is on road shows the engineering that went into it. It's not a luxury SUV.

Go to mid perch and get new leaf springs and the ride increases dramatically. Best $1200 you'll spend.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're over-expecting - This is by far! - the best riding truck I've every owned (considering it's ability)

It seems to get smoother on gravel roads upwards of 70+ mph also...

just my 2 cents...

Welcome to the chaos!

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
The raptor suspension is performance oriented, not luxury oriented. It handles and rides better than a normal f150, but is not going to be caddilac like by any means.

OP
OP

1fastdoc

Reaction score
It's a truck so your expectations need to be corrected. For the off-road vehicle it is to be as comfortable as it is on road shows the engineering that went into it. It's not a luxury SUV.

Go to mid perch and get new leaf springs and the ride increases dramatically. Best $1200 you'll spend.

it's currently tolerable. I don't need it to be smoother. It currently feels like a Ford truck to me. I just want to be sure that it's normal.

You're over-expecting - This is by far! - the best riding truck I've every owned (considering it's ability)

It seems to get smoother on gravel roads upwards of 70+ mph also...

just my 2 cents...

Welcome to the chaos!

And this statement is where my confusion comes from. I think the Tundra rides smoother. It also rides heavier though -- I really felt the weight. I think the F-150 is more nimble through turns.

OP
OP

1fastdoc

Reaction score
Drive faster, it will smooth out.

Ok, that brings up another question. Occasionally we go places where I have to hop up on a curb. With my SUV I very gently ease it up.

Can the raptor just drive up onto a 6" curb at, say, 10 mph or will that damage something?

D

Deleted member 12951

Ok, that brings up another question. Occasionally we go places where I have to hop up on a curb. With my SUV I very gently ease it up.

Can the raptor just drive up onto a 6" curb at, say, 10 mph or will that damage something?

Owners manual states to not drive over curbs. I'll find it and post back
Warranty guide, Page 12

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED
WARRANTY?
Damage Caused By:

"misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or
using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source"

Last edited by a moderator: