Do you ever use "M" shifting mode or stay in "D"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think that there was a thread about this a while back but I am too lazy or skilled enough to keep looking for it. I took a nice, long drive with 4 people in the Raptor and I could definitely feel the weight difference. So, I was inclined to use the "M" shifting mode to utilize the engine braking that, for some reason, the Raptor loves.

I never use the "M" mode for normal driving until yesterday. Coming down from 70, I'd tap it down to 5 and then 4 right one after the other and then from 3rd. Third really gets the engine braking going and it would do a pretty good job at slowing me down and then around 40 I'd hit 2nd and I could damn near come to a stop and then I could just barely apply brake pressure and come to a stop.

My Dad is old school as they come and always says, "Brakes are made to stop a vehicle, not a transmission." Well, I think that this thing works pretty good as is.

What do you all think?

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use the M mode quite a bit for braking and accelerating, especially in bumper to bumper traffic and around ********.

RevlimitrSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lately I'm shifting manually more than just leaving it in auto simply because no matter how light on the pedal I am I cant get more than 13.4 mpg in D when I can get 14.6 or better shifting manually. In auto mode it rushes through gears and when I need a bit of acceleration it hesitates and hunts until it figures out what gear it wants to be in. I've always despised auto transmissions and the one in this truck being a six speed seems to embody everything I hate about them but everything else about this truck is so good the transmission is merely a minor annoyance.

I do plan on taking it in to the stealership in the next week or so to see if maybe it just needs the shift programming updated(its a 2010) Hopefully they can resolve the issue.

mrpositraction

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What in the hell are you talking about?

Q: What is a "fouled" spark plug?

A: A spark plug is considered fouled when the insulator nose at the firing tip becomes coated with a foreign substance such as fuel, oil or carbon. This coating makes it easier for the voltage to follow along the insulator nose, leach back down into the metal shell and ground out rather than bridging the gap and firing normally.

Many factors can contribute to spark plug fouling. The air/fuel ratio may be too rich as a result of incorrect carburetor adjustment or a poorly performing fuel injection system. Worn piston rings or valve seals may allow too much oil to leak into the combustion chamber, leading to oil fouling. The ignition system may not be performing properly. Prolonged idling or continuous low-speed driving may keep the spark plug from reaching its optimum operating temperature. Using too cold a spark plug can lead to the same problem. Finally, a dirty air cleaner can create a too-rich condition which can lead to fouling.

Fuel, oil and carbon fouling can all be the result of different causes but, once a spark plug is fouled, it will not provide adequate voltage to the firing tip and that cylinder will not fire properly. In many cases, the spark plug cannot be cleaned sufficiently to restore normal operation. Therefore, it is recommended that a plug be replaced once it is fouled.

:peace:

OP
OP
swoop1156

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Q: What is a "fouled" spark plug?

A: A spark plug is considered fouled when the insulator nose at the firing tip becomes coated with a foreign substance such as fuel, oil or carbon. This coating makes it easier for the voltage to follow along the insulator nose, leach back down into the metal shell and ground out rather than bridging the gap and firing normally.

Many factors can contribute to spark plug fouling. The air/fuel ratio may be too rich as a result of incorrect carburetor adjustment or a poorly performing fuel injection system. Worn piston rings or valve seals may allow too much oil to leak into the combustion chamber, leading to oil fouling. The ignition system may not be performing properly. Prolonged idling or continuous low-speed driving may keep the spark plug from reaching its optimum operating temperature. Using too cold a spark plug can lead to the same problem. Finally, a dirty air cleaner can create a too-rich condition which can lead to fouling.

Fuel, oil and carbon fouling can all be the result of different causes but, once a spark plug is fouled, it will not provide adequate voltage to the firing tip and that cylinder will not fire properly. In many cases, the spark plug cannot be cleaned sufficiently to restore normal operation. Therefore, it is recommended that a plug be replaced once it is fouled.

:peace:

Good lord, I know what a fouled plug is. :ROFLJest: Why is someone saying that shifting "M" vs "D" is going to give me one.