Did I damage my 4 wheel drive system ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
VENOMIZD

VENOMIZD

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guys and even the comedy relief... :flipthebird:

I'm convinced there is no way I was in 4L now but the dial surly was. I think once I dropped the trailer turned off the truck then started it back up and left is when it engaged in 4L and I noticed it right away.....either way I'm going to change the transfer case oil.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And surely at near 60mph, you could tell without a doubt that you were pushing it being in 4L?

There was no doubt it was in 4Lo, the transfer case noise was super loud. Other than that and lots of PRM the truck didn't seem to mind.

FWIW I only did this for about 2 minutes then stopped and put it back in 2wd.

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guys and even the comedy relief... :flipthebird:

I'm convinced there is no way I was in 4L now but the dial surly was. I think once I dropped the trailer turned off the truck then started it back up and left is when it engaged in 4L and I noticed it right away.....either way I'm going to change the transfer case oil.

That makes sense as others stated if you switched it to 4l while still in drive it will not shift to 4l, but as soon as you put it in park it would have switched. Now the question is were you in 4h on the highway, which is also really bad. Not sure how the transfer case works if you do this does it shift to 4h until you move to park/neutral or does it not shift at all.

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense as others stated if you switched it to 4l while still in drive it will not shift to 4l, but as soon as you put it in park it would have switched. Now the question is were you in 4h on the highway, which is also really bad. Not sure how the transfer case works if you do this does it shift to 4h until you move to park/neutral or does it not shift at all.

I think the transmission has to be in neutral to shift to 4L on my truck (2012, Canadian). Anyways, it wouldn't shift in P the other day.

Last edited:

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You can shift between 2 high and 4 high at will, in drive, moving or not. You cannot shift into or out of 4 low without being in neutral.

This would not have been a great situation (4 high) either, but nothing compared to 4 low. At highway speeds at least the turns are gradual, so 4 high isn't going to mess up much (still no bueno).

Still, it displays 4x4 on your dash.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

I think the transmission has to be in neutral to shift to 4L on my truck (2012, Canadian), anyways it wouldn't shift in P the other day.

Yeah, it's neutral. I couldn't remember in my previous post, but now I do!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter