GEN 1 Brake fade with R1 HD pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
raptorpaul

raptorpaul

Reaction score
I just called and talked to customer service at R1 they are sending me a new set of pads. I will try that and go from there. No leaks in system at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called and talked to customer service at R1 they are sending me a new set of pads. I will try that and go from there. No leaks in system at all.

I wouldn't listen to the guy saying your master is leaking they didn't seem to wise when they sent me the wrong rotors I had a hell of a time explaining I used the fronts off a zo6 for the back of my car also so send me 4 sets of fronts. but they had no problem sending me anything they were good that way just took awhile for them to understand 4 fronts

one thing I forgot to mention and rickey racer did also assuming you installed them correct and they are not jacked up pads did you do the brake in?
I really am interested in you getting the same set and trying over and if still bad buy any set you feel like and hearing if you noticed any difference.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The same ones or a different brand/type/compound?

I would have declined the offer of a new set of the same ****** pads. That will just confirm that their pads suck and be a waste of your time to change out.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
did you bed your pads properly?

also, i have seen R1 for almost a decade on other forums and most people steer clear from them. they have had corrosion issues, brake fad and wear issues, loss of brake power. i tried to stay out because maybe they are built to different standards.

get you some ebc pads

OP
OP
raptorpaul

raptorpaul

Reaction score
Yes I installed correctly, I’m assuming you mean the pads with ears on the inside. I also did the break in process to a T With no dragging or unnecessary stops. The pads he is sending are the same as he believes that the rotor coating may be stuck on the pads and hasn’t worn off yet. I will give it a try and go from there.

I heard so many people rave about R1 on this forum. Interesting to hear about people stay steer clear.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes I installed correctly, I’m assuming you mean the pads with ears on the inside. I also did the break in process to a T With no dragging or unnecessary stops. The pads he is sending are the same as he believes that the rotor coating may be stuck on the pads and hasn’t worn off yet. I will give it a try and go from there.

I heard so many people rave about R1 on this forum. Interesting to hear about people stay steer clear.

sounds like the pads werent bedded properly.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score

all we can do is wait it seem you did everything correct hopefully it was just a bad set.
either way its not a huge task to swap I would and hope they are good.
ask him for R1s specific seating protocol a follow it exact.
there is a way to seat - bed- brake in what ever you want to call it but ask them for their instructions just so they cant make up any excuses if they still not to your liking.
good luck hope it works out for ya.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The rotors should be fine, the newest geomet version is as good as anything short of a high dollar swap. There isn't much good feedback on their pads however. Freedom on the forum here sells kits with R1 rotors but Centric ceramic pads, which in their experience perform much better than the R1 pad. Probably a solid recommendation. I will go with ebc yellows on my truck. I will report when I do.

I seriously doubt you got a bad set. If their QC is so bad they default to replacement because they have maybe had a lot of problems? Why would you be the only person I have seen having an issue with the coating? I suspect millions of rotors and pad sets have been sold with these coatings by now.

I say throw them in the trash or just return to sender the package and get something MUCH more likely to work. It is your time and money though.