Power Steering Whine, Stiffness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rorywg

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2012 SCAB with lots of mods including a PSS reservoir and PS cooler. My steering has just started to get intermittently stiff; the steering makes a loud whine when turning, and if I increase revs during the turn the whine is much louder, but the stiffness reduces.

I have checked my PS fluid, which seems to have been leaking. It is quite brown but does not seem to have any residue in it. I have topped it off.

My truck has done about 30k miles. A lot of it off road in desert.

Any advice on what the problem is/how I should fix it? I'm out of warranty and don't trust the dealership out here.

thanks!

Roy

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Power Steering pump is blown.
It should be covered under the 36K / 3yr warranty. Don't think it's under the 5yr drive train warranty, but you may want to ask if your 3yr is up.

But yup, its the pump. Be sure to have it flushed when the pump is replaced.

Thank You for your donations to Avery. We hit our goal!

Yukon Joe
Snoball 3
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

OP
OP
Rorywg

Rorywg

Reaction score
Sounds pretty definite. Thanks! Is there anything else we ought to replace while we are switching this out?

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same issue and I'm on my second pump now. I took mine to the stealership and they would not replace it because it wasn't fully "out". They say it's either out or not, and partially didn't qualify.

They offered to document it so when it fails in the future I'm covered.

So for 6 months now Ive driven around with a stiff wheel and frankly I can tell its not normal but they're in denial.

Sorta sucks, where's our resident Ford rep when you need her?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Happened to me in the sand dunes. Exact same symptoms, but worse. Mine was toast, I had no power assist to my steering the whole drive (towing) home. Driving at speed it was just fine. Turning when you are slow or stopped is tough.

Your pump is blown. I'm on my second. First was replaced under factory warranty maybe somewhere in the realm of 25-30K miles.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those PS mods that you mentioned, Rorywg, might give you some warranty trouble with the dealership. Best prepare to defend your claim.

OP
OP
Rorywg

Rorywg

Reaction score
Thanks- the truck is an import from the US (i am in Dubai) so the dealership has no interest. In any case, I think there is a bit mkore knowledge on this forum than in the local setup.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same issue and I'm on my second pump now. I took mine to the stealership and they would not replace it because it wasn't fully "out". They say it's either out or not, and partially didn't qualify.

They offered to document it so when it fails in the future I'm covered.

So for 6 months now Ive driven around with a stiff wheel and frankly I can tell its not normal but they're in denial.

Sorta sucks, where's our resident Ford rep when you need her?
That's b.s.
The pump is obviously not performing the way it is intended from the factor. Have you tried a different dealer?

Thank You for your donations to Avery. We hit our goal!

Yukon Joe
Snoball 3
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

upscrazy8

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the meantime...anticipate the turns
It's happens to some, not all of us at some point. I'm getting 4th pump in <15k Wtf?

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Yukon, appreciate the support and suggestion. I need to work up the courage and try another dealer.

M@