noise from rear of truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 2010 raptor 1500 miles and im getting a loose knocking sound from the rear end while on ruff terrain or even pulling in the drive way. Has anyone else had this problem? i can go to the rear of the truck and shack left to right and it sounds like the bed is loose or the rear end has something banging around inside of it. It is bad enough i made an oppointment at the local ford dealer to have it checked out. i shook the rear end of the one they had on their lot and its nowhere near as bad as mine. thanks guys todd

AndyR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to see if your spare is snugged tight. A few of us found them loose from the factory @ the Raptor Roundup.

AUH1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem and was told to check the vibration damper below the bed and above the spare tire. My car is at the dealer now to install the remote starter and check on this problem. Mine feels like a weight is shifting when you accelerate from a stop and there is a clear thud.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same problem and was told to check the vibration damper below the bed and above the spare tire. My car is at the dealer now to install the remote starter and check on this problem. Mine feels like a weight is shifting when you accelerate from a stop and there is a clear thud.
x2 this. (Spare tire check too). Every 'clunk' I've heard of so far has been related to this dampener.

OP
OP
Reaction score
I got under the truck today and the spare was tight and that vibration dampner seems like it would only be the case if it was making the noise driving but I found that it seems to be coming from the leaf springs. Almost like they aren't tight enough against eachother and wiggling left to right along with some hub noise and differential noise. I don't know but it's frustrating brand new truck. Please elaborate more on the dampner thing and how to check it out.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The vibration damper in question is a large steel weight mounted on a flexible hanger above the spare tire (towards the front) on the driver's side. As others have said, it is the most likely source of a clunk.

Hopefully, the dealer can figure it out if it's not.

AUH1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer was useless and showed me a bulletin from Ford saying that the shocks make noise and that it is normal. I highly doubt the noise is coming from the shocks so will try to find the vibration damper. I assume I need to remove the spare tire to get to it. right?