Ford Raptor Fuel Pump Fuse Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 17706

They replaced the whole system. They originally tried to replace the fuse with another one, but it blew out again. So they switched out everything. If I recall, the cost for parts was around $400 plus labor. Everything was under warranty.

What options do we have for an upgrade? It looks like the only aftermarket brand that I was familiar with would be from Livernois.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fuel pump went out? Or the fuse?
I am curious to know what it takes to replace the fuel pump.

( * Y * )

Drop the tank (2 bolts) disconnecting the lines and cables, unbolt the pump from the top of the tank, reverse. Main thing is making sure the tank is virtually empty before you start.

andreb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got pointed to this thread by a member who saw my thread on tapping into the fuse box for power with OE terminals instead of pulling from the battery, etc.

He recommended the wiring kit EL3Z-14293-A to get me what I wanted. I knew nothing about this issue or the parts being available.

I bought a junk yard fuse box and have stripped it out to use the terminals and components for a few projects. I've got basically the same thing the kit comes with.

I did notice that with all the mini-fuse slots, the fuel pump at 20 amps is the only 20 amp fuse and the highest. All other 20 amp fuses are "maxi" J-Case cartridge fuses. This is exactly what the factory kit uses.

After reading 35 pages I think I'll just do this mod myself and not wait for fuse 27 to fail. It also opens up a mini-fuse slot to use for something else.

Attachments

• EL3Z-14293-A.jpeg
    EL3Z-14293-A.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_1415.jpg
    IMG_1415.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 193

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A friend and I just did the fuse relocation this weekend. Instructions were pretty straight forward. My existing mini fuse in the default location showed no signs of melting and I'd never had any fuel related issues so this was mostly a preventative measure. Still lame this hasn't been escalated to a recall, but at least the fix was an easy one.

I also wanted to add that I currently had around 56k miles with no fuse 27 issues prior to installing the fuse relocation kit.

Last edited:

OxfordScrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...it happened to me (2013 Screw, 11,561 miles). I was at the end of a freeway onramp, accelerating to merge with traffic when the engine died. No power steering, no power brakes. I was able to pull over to the shoulder with 65-70 mph traffic coming at me. Once I was on the shoulder, I got it started again and drove home with no issues. After I got home, I plugged in the OBDII and didn't get any trouble codes. I did a quick forum search and came upon this thread. I checked the 27 fuse and sure enough the plastic casing was burnt to a crisp just like the ones in every other pic posted. I ordered the Ford EL3Z-14293-AFuse Relocation Kit from Amazon for $19 and received it in 2 days. Took 45 minutes to install it and done deal.

Thanks to FRF and the posters on this thread for doing what Ford failed/refused to do.....NOTIFY THE OWNERS of affected trucks of this hazardous issue. Unfortunately I don't get on the forums much so I missed this post. If I'd known about this issue and the existence of the TSB, I would have spent the $19 and 45 minutes long ago and not waited for a near tragic incident to find out about it. This is a design flaw that can have deadly results. They know about the problem and yet all they do is come up with a TSB that owners aren't notified of and some service writers don't even know about. If there's any issue that warrants a RECALL, this is it. Ford obviously hasn't learned any lessons from the Pinto and Exploder. Bottom line is they'd rather pay out a few million dollars on a few annoying wrongful death suits than half a billion for a full blown recall. Such short sighted "United Airlines" way of thinking. If not anything else, at least send out a letter or email advising owners to check the 27 fuse and the TSB. Lord knows I get enough of those with oil change and tire rotation coupons so I know they have my contact info.

34079445762_563d40aa50_b.jpg

34105778561_0e5747a406_b.jpg

Funny thing, the same week that my engine died while entering the freeway, I received this letter in the mail. For the record, my Raptor has had no issues except for this one incident and continues to run fine after the TSB.

34105775151_95409b01c0_b.jpg

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@OxfordScrew I'd recommend that you file a vehicle safety complaint if you haven't done so already. If enough people complain, an investigation will be started and the outcome could help those that don't have the benefit of frequenting forums so they can resolve design and/or safety defects themselves. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Granted, it seems like Ford or the Gov't often don't care until people are injured or dead.

OxfordScrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@OxfordScrew I'd recommend that you file a vehicle safety complaint if you haven't done so already. If enough people complain, an investigation will be started and the outcome could help those that don't have the benefit of frequenting forums so they can resolve design and/or safety defects themselves. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Granted, it seems like Ford or the Gov't often don't care until people are injured or dead.

Done!