Engaging 4x4 at speed causes grinding noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2012 Raptor is grinding when shifting to 4x4 at any speed, except stopped. The grinding never stops. If I get in 4 hi from a stop, the 4x4 works perfectly with no noise.

Ford has replaced the vacuum system on both sides and today they replaced the transfer case. The problem is still there and they are stumped. Help!!

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have them check the IWE. The part that the vacuum sys operates. Search for thread that squatting dog posted.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad IWE. The engagement teeth are probably worn flat, causing partial engagement when moving.

OP
OP
iSurvive

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer has had my truck for 8 days total now. They replaced my IWEs, my transfer case, and today they said they knew the problem!! It was a wire, but they didn't know which one (I was guessing it might be related to the solenoid). Ford Hotline told them it had to be "this" wire. I was excited. Five hours later they call and say it didn't fix the problem and they are still stumped.

The dealer was smart enough to thoroughly test drive after each fix attempt. They said it worked fine the first four times they engaged 4x4 Hi, but on the fifth try it was grinding again. They ordered another new part yesterday - I was so numb I don't even remember what part they ordered. It was installed today and still didn't fix the problem. The dealer is running out of ideas (or they screwed up one of the fixes that should have worked).

At least they are experiencing the problem and know something is wrong!

To clarify my issue:

I can engage my 4wd Hi if I'm stopped (or even less than 5 mph). I can drive in 4wd with no issue and disengage at any time at any speed.

If I engage 4wd at any speed higher than 5 mph, I get the grinding noise in the front end. The noise continues as long as I stay in 4wd, but I can switch back to 2wd and the noise is gone.

Hopefully at some point they just order me a 2013 to replace my 2012.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer has had my truck for 8 days total now. They replaced my IWEs, my transfer case, and today they said they knew the problem!! It was a wire, but they didn't know which one (I was guessing it might be related to the solenoid). Ford Hotline told them it had to be "this" wire. I was excited. Five hours later they call and say it didn't fix the problem and they are still stumped.

The dealer was smart enough to thoroughly test drive after each fix attempt. They said it worked fine the first four times they engaged 4x4 Hi, but on the fifth try it was grinding again. They ordered another new part yesterday - I was so numb I don't even remember what part they ordered. It was installed today and still didn't fix the problem. The dealer is running out of ideas (or they screwed up one of the fixes that should have worked).

At least they are experiencing the problem and know something is wrong!

To clarify my issue:

I can engage my 4wd Hi if I'm stopped (or even less than 5 mph). I can drive in 4wd with no issue and disengage at any time at any speed.

If I engage 4wd at any speed higher than 5 mph, I get the grinding noise in the front end. The noise continues as long as I stay in 4wd, but I can switch back to 2wd and the noise is gone.

Hopefully at some point they just order me a 2013 to replace my 2012.

It will eventualy get fixed but do not kid yourself about Ford getting you an new 2013 lol..

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had this prob today. I shifted to 4x4, didn't engage and grinding until I hit break shifted to neutral shifted again and went in with no grinding.
Any progress on lockin hubs squatting dog?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had this prob today. I shifted to 4x4, didn't engage and grinding until I hit break shifted to neutral shifted again and went in with no grinding.
Any progress on lockin hubs squatting dog?

Have not talked to Jason recently, I will check in with him and see what the word is...

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

OP
OP
iSurvive

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will eventualy get fixed but do not kid yourself about Ford getting you an new 2013 lol..

I'm not that foolish, but it made me feel better for a few seconds.

I have things to do to my truck in prep for TRR. They're killing me. At least they were having some ideas in the beginning, but now they're running out of options.

Last time I talked to them they mentioned my 5 gallon Tuff Jug was leaking gas. I never had a problem with it before, and now it's at the dealer and it's leaking. I can only imagine what they were doing to make that happen.