2011: Start by ignition switch not working, remote start works.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
My 2011 won't start by the ignition switch with either key. Remote start works fine.

Have tried disconnecting/reconnecting battery. Swapped starter-related relays with not-very-important relays. Fuses look good. Tapping/hitting (not hard) the steering column while trying to start has no effect. I can hear the fuel pump fire when the key first touches the ignition switch (as it should). I hear/see absolutely no change when turning the key to the start position, it's as though the circuit is not being closed at all.

The Nav shows no DTCs (holding the 3 and 6 presets on the radio will put it in diagnostic mode, one of the options is to show DTCs).

Remote start thankfully works just great. :)

Is there any quick fix here? A specific loose connector, clean something, etc, or (more likely) is replacement of the ignition switch required? Truck is under warranty, but I'd rather spend 5 minutes fixing it than several hours of dealer BS.

Thanks for any suggestions.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing comes to mind as common problems but it does sound like an ignition switch issue.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you take the steering column cover off, you will find a black 7 pin plug on the left side, below your turn signal. there is a blue /white wire, its pin 1 (so its on the end) this is the starter wire. it should show 12 volts while in "crank" position and no power in any other position. if you have 12 volts during crank, then the problem will be after the ignition cylinder. if there is no power at all, then its possible your key cylinder is bad.

remember that having too many keys on your keychain can cause problems like these as well.

OP
OP
Droid

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
if you take the steering column cover off, you will find a black 7 pin plug on the left side, below your turn signal. there is a blue /white wire, its pin 1 (so its on the end) this is the starter wire. it should show 12 volts while in "crank" position and no power in any other position. if you have 12 volts during crank, then the problem will be after the ignition cylinder. if there is no power at all, then its possible your key cylinder is bad.

remember that having too many keys on your keychain can cause problems like these as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. No keys on keyring (and tried both). Only potential RF source is a cell phone. Haven't tried pulling the cover, but may well just dump it on the dealer this week.

DaBlueOne

Reaction score
How did you make out?

Just wondering how you made out with this issue. Same thing happened to me yesterday. At the shop now and everyone is scratching their heads. Thanks