2010 Raptor Starting Issue - No Start No Crank Until 3-4 Tries, Then Cranks Easy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rycast

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just traded for a 2010 Ford F150 Raptor SVT 6.2L V8. Awesome truck, but the truck will not crank in the morning. It doesn't even engage starter. It will turn on electronics when you turn the key halfway, and then turn off electronics/AC when you hit the starter. Repeat this about 3 times and then it cranks easy. When it does, it cranks immediately with no hesitation, and it will crank fine the rest of the day after that.

• Battery tested fine, Optima with a date of Jan. 2017
  • Changed starter yesterday - brand new Remy - same issue
  • Checked all relevant fuses I can think of, they're fine

I read that it could be the starter relay or fuel pump relay. Checked NAPA and Advance Auto and they don't have the relays.

• Relay #2 and #8 in power distribution box
  • Relay #2 Part #: 9C2T-14B192-AA
  • Relay #8 Part #: F57B-14B192-AA

I looked at this topic and others - no help so far:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/cranks-but-wont-start-39420/

I got this truck from a BMW dealership and I'm 99% sure they already knew about the problem, so there's not much point in taking it back there.

I guess at this point it's one of the following:
  • Neutral safety switch (but if so, why does it crank fine after getting the first crank?)
  • One of the relays (again, why would it crank fine after the 1st crank)
  • The fuel pump
  • The fuel pump control module

I'm talking to a Ford dealership on Monday, but I'd rather fix it myself. Any help is greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
Correction: truck usually starts after first crank. Left it sitting for a while today and had the same issue.

I ran a code scanner and got this code P0705

The code is only shown when the truck won't crank. Once it cranks, the code goes away.

P0705 Ford

Looks like the neutral safety switch...

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
Sorry for all the double posting. It looks like there's something broken off the left side of this thing...

Attachments

• 20171007_175119.jpg
    20171007_175119.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 47

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rycast,
I had an aftermarket key made at my local locksmith's shop. It does the same thing intermittently; also intermittently the aftermarket key will send the drivers seat moving forward and down. Completely random timing. ALWAYS starts after 3rd twist, while no reaction after first two twists. Happened today for first time in 3 weeks. I think that the chip in the aftermarket key doesn't return the signal from the ignition module at exactly the correct frequency...close but not exact....
Eddie

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
Sounds like that could be a possibility. I have 2 keys, one of which the dealer said they just made brand-new. It is a remote/key all-in-one deal.

The other key is a key with a dongle remote. That's the one I've been using. However, both have given me this starting issue. Not sure if either one is original. The dongle one certain looks older and has the Ford logo and FoMoCo written on it...

Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
Wouldn't crank this morning. I tried starting it in neutral with my foot on the brake pedal, didn't help. Shouldn't that bypass the neutral safety switch?

Thinking it's either the key, fuel pump, fuel pump control module, or a bad wire somewhere.

Either way the dealer should pay for this.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The neutral safety switch is inside the transmission case, built into the lead frame. It cost me about $700 to have Ford replace it. I had stating and shifting problems, don't recall what codes were thrown.

OP
OP
R

Rycast

Reaction score
This thing doesn't look normal to me. Feels like a broken piece of metal. See attached.

Attachments

• 20171007_193119.jpg
    20171007_193119.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 55