GEN 1 2010 5.4 engine tick (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the "Silver" protection plan. Includes the manifold, but nothing in any of the plans about injectors. And just to be clear, this is not normal, correct? It's been to the dealer about 5 times for service and they've never said anything. I have a feeling they might give me the "normal for this engine/model" line.

Do you know if the truck ever had a injector cleaning. The dealer offers a pretty good cleansing treatment. Not sure about cost but over time things get dirty. All vehicles have that tick some are louder than others. The evaporation system has a solenoid that can cause the same tick but it sounds louder. Does it change with rpm?

RAPTORSCHIM

Reaction score
Mine went from a light tick in the summer, to a loud tick when the weather got cold along with a loss of HP & fuel mileage.

New manifold, zero tick and everything back to normal.

OP
OP
Vaderslostson

Vaderslostson

Reaction score
No injector cleanings that I know of. Tick speeds up with increase in rpm. I just went outside and did the ol' screwdriver stethoscope trick. Sound is definitely in the fuel rail. I unplugged each injector separately but no change. I put the screwdriver to that 2" cylinder looking thing on the top of the passenger side fuel rail, and it seemed to be loudest there.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine went from a light tick in the summer, to a loud tick when the weather got cold along with a loss of HP & fuel mileage.

New manifold, zero tick and everything back to normal.
Manifold tick is different than injector tick. Plus it would go away for the most part as you drive the truck, letting the manifold get hot unless its very severe crack.