GEN 2 SYNC 3 and it's lazy design

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blake_Allan

Reaction score
Is it just me or does SYNC 3 seem very outdated? Although 'My Ford Touch' by Microsoft had it flaws, i definitely prefer that over this so called new and improved system. The background (when not in night mode) basically looks like windows 98' which forces you to always have the screen in night mode. You can't change the background color or and an image which is crazy to me being that it seems so simple. In my opinion, i feel the screen should resemble the gauge cluster which looks great! Anyways, below are a few issues i have with the system, what are your thoughts??

- Can't change the background color or add an image.
- Can't have a 'favorite' audio preset section containing different sources
- Lame/Lazy design
- Icons are way too simple and plan
- A lot of glare (screen issue)

(i'll add more to this list when it comes to me)

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sync3 is also a Microsoft product. For a factory system, its better than anything I have seen...

AvoidTheBoyd

Reaction score
Sync 3 is not a MS product, it is made with Blackberry's QNX.

I agree with the OP, I'm not enjoying the Sync 3 experience at all. I had a 2015 Lariat with MyFordTouch and preferred that quite a bit over Sync 3. It was much more customizable and I didn't have nearly as many Bluetooth drops. I keep My Sync 3 in night mode all of the time as I can't stand the light blue/gray screen in the normal mode.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep mine in night mode all the time aswell..

I prefer Sync 3 over Sync 2. I could give two ***** over a background image.

In all fairness most entertainment systems suck in any vehicle, not matter how much money that vehicle is..

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should see my 2017 Volvo xc 90 entertainment screen and level of customization...

It's beautiful. Then go and use it.
It's bloated and like wading through mud at times.

Syncs 3 ain't prettty. But what it does do... is work... it's fast... it's easy... it doesn't lag. The navigation works fast and without effort.

Could it be prettier? Yes. Am I happy with how it works? Yes

BBLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that the screen doesn't appear to fit the opening gets under my skin. Why have a cheap 1" plastic bezel around a "high end" head unit in this day and age? Lazy design execution IMO.