No hard drive on Sync 3 system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmieMathews

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a hard drive. If you don't want to use your phone for music you should be able to put your music on a USB thumb drive and put it in one of the USB slots.

a1d5af8e249e034871ec633f40322a9b.png

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

BTW, I will tell you that although Ford says exFAT is good, FAT32 always works.

JimmieMathews

Reaction score
Thanks, but it's absurd a multimedia interface in a 2019 vehicle can't interact with an iPod. My previous 2014 Tundra had no problem with it. This and the inability to changes sources from the steering wheel are the two biggest tech/entertainment fails in the vehicle, IMO.

I assume you meant a 2018.

Several questions I ask: Is it an older iPod? I know you have 60gb storage on it. I haven't pushed the envelope on this myself, but the only problem I've ever seen consistently with any iPod/Sync system was due to hard drive size on the iPod. Is the software up to date on the device? My iPad is no longer being supported by Apple, so all kinds of problems there for me since I made the mistake of DL'ing the final update for it, which included the deliberate crippling of some of my iPad features. Planned obsolescence. It was working great before I did that update. I usually wait to hear what people are saying. Too bad for me. Last one I'll buy.

Vehicle questions: What is the vehicle? What is the trim level of your vehicle? The only vehicle that has the Media button now (that I know of) is the Expedition.

BUT, I use the voice commands for everything, even when I'm in a vehicle that has the media button. One or two steps versus 3-4 or more. I even have a cheat I can offer, if you say List of Commands, it gives you all voice commands for your vehicle by category. I included an image to illustrate USB commands.

I would tell you that the biggest fail is actually that most dealerships do not consider it valuable to have anyone at all who can adequately explain how to use the system. Education. A salesperson really doesn't have an extra 1-2 hours to explain everything available in the vehicles. And lots of customers are intimidated by the tech even when they want it.

Attachments

• USB Commands.jpg
    USB Commands.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume you meant a 2018.

Several questions I ask: Is it an older iPod? I know you have 60gb storage on it. I haven't pushed the envelope on this myself, but the only problem I've ever seen consistently with any iPod/Sync system was due to hard drive size on the iPod. Is the software up to date on the device? My iPad is no longer being supported by Apple, so all kinds of problems there for me since I made the mistake of DL'ing the final update for it, which included the deliberate crippling of some of my iPad features. Planned obsolescence. It was working great before I did that update. I usually wait to hear what people are saying. Too bad for me. Last one I'll buy.

Vehicle questions: What is the vehicle? What is the trim level of your vehicle? The only vehicle that has the Media button now (that I know of) is the Expedition.

BUT, I use the voice commands for everything, even when I'm in a vehicle that has the media button. One or two steps versus 3-4 or more. I even have a cheat I can offer, if you say List of Commands, it gives you all voice commands for your vehicle by category. I included an image to illustrate USB commands.

I would tell you that the biggest fail is actually that most dealerships do not consider it valuable to have anyone at all who can adequately explain how to use the system. Education. A salesperson really doesn't have an extra 1-2 hours to explain everything available in the vehicles. And lots of customers are intimidated by the tech even when they want it.

Yeah, it's a typo...I have 2018 802a SCREW.

Yes, it's an older iPod Classic, but up to date with Apple software, and I've been to the Sync web site about it...it's a known issue. In the infographic you posted, it says it only indexes each time a new USB media source/player is connected, but that's not true for the older iPods...it indexes it every single time you play it.

As for the voice control, I like it, and I do use it, but every other F-150/Expedition with our steering wheel controls has the mode button in the center, while we have the voice command button. Our manual even shows the mode button in the middle, and doesn't even mention/address the Raptor confiuration. Obviously, ours got moved to accommodate the Raptor drive mode keys, which are great and I use a lot. But, I'd still prefer to be able to scroll through sources/radio bands with a click at the wheel rather than voice control. I mentioned before that my wife's Mercedes allows you to do this through the on-screen/dashboard display. This seems to me to be something that could easily be added. Also, there's no way to change the six displayed presets for radio to the next six without touching the tiny marker on the display....bad, bad idea, and very annoying for satellite, where it's not unusual to actually go through all your presets.

No infotainment system is perfect, but the best ones are the most intuitive. This one has some design/engineering choices that are not very intuitive. I agree about the lack of training/education at the dealership. I'm far from a luddite, and I actually enjoy audio/video tech stuff. So, it's frustrating to me when you actually try to do what the system says it's supposed to do, and it doesn't do it. Again, nothing's perfect, and, overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited: