DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpkilkenny

Reaction score
Guys - does this setup fix the issue with the sound lowering at high volumes? If I listen to music above 18-20 volume every time the bass hits on the stock system it sounds like the volume lowers a bit. Just wondering if its a factory speaker issue or a lack of power to the speakers.

daaaaaan

Reaction score
Just ordered everything from Amazon - $491 shipped. Thanks for all the info! I will be installing over the next few weeks as my daughter naps.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys - does this setup fix the issue with the sound lowering at high volumes? If I listen to music above 18-20 volume every time the bass hits on the stock system it sounds like the volume lowers a bit. Just wondering if its a factory speaker issue or a lack of power to the speakers.
Good question.

All that weird sound business is alleviated. I think it was the stock system exceeding the capability of the stock speakers.

Now the only thing I can't say for certain is if the bass gets lowered by the factory system at high volumes. I had a car that would do this and it drove me nuts. The only reason I put a question mark in this category is because I notice I can hear the subwoofer noticibly more at a volume of 15 than I can at 25.... but the front speakers are so much louder I think I can attribute this to the sub not being overpowering. It's fairly balanced I think. It is not something that would bother you. It'll rattle the mirrors at high volume too.

Guy

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guy,

Did you remove the sub enclosure to modify to fit the Pioneer or just did it in the truck? Thx

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The subwoofer comes out with 3 bolts which are all readily accessible.

Take it out. Lay it on a shop table... remove the stock sub... heat gun to mold the inside shelf... patch the small rear hole where previous stock bolt was... place in new sub. Screw down. Run wire for new amp. Connect amp. Done

Second time around it would have taken me well under 2 hours. Limping along the way I did the first time it probably took me 3... and that includes breaking for breakfast and bathroom.

I'm going to pull the sub out again this week and add some polyfill and then dynamat the stock plastic enclosure to make the most of what is there. From all of my research this should make the bass a little cleaner, deeper and tighter... in the neighborhood of 10-15 percent difference.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I ordered all of the parts and do the install over the weekend.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let me say something here, that most likely will be ignored.

You will be spending $$$10, 20 maybe 30,000 or more later on.

Take it from an old DEAF fart who used to LOVE loud music. It WILL catch up with you!! Set that money aside for your hearing aids.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol...

Rest easy my friend... there isn't enough juice in this setup for deafening music. It's more about refining the sound quality... at least for me. I'm not one to "jam" at decibels

evan9r

Reaction score
Guy, you said you could hear the tweeters on your 4 way door speakers? I read somewhere else that Sony's built in crossover wouldnt allow the highs to be played through the door speakers.

I am considering getting a set of components for the front. Wondering if I would need the crossover that comes with them or not.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.

The doors are all full range.
The center dash is full range

I'm not sure about the a pillars. I am running filters because they are tweeters.

The subwoofer is the only channel I can verify that has a crossover cut off from the Sony amp. It's around 100.

The sound COMES TO LIFE with the speaker change.