GEN 2 Sto N Sho License plate modified

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think there's any possible way that the hardware can be bent down a little bit, so that the plate itself is lowered by about 3/4 inch?

It would be nice if the mounted plate top was only as high as the second level diamond pattern on the mesh. That way the Onyx 6 light could be mounted as designed and be just right above the license plate, pretty much fully functional.

I live in Washington we have to run a front plate to. But I really want that Onyx 6 light. I was looking at this option as well. Just wondering if it can be modified.

I asked the original op, he didn't think so now I'm asking you LOL:crazy:

Thanks in advance

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in a state that requires front plates like it or not I had to put one on. Like the OP - I picked up the StoNSho front bracket. I considered mounting it off center on the passenger side but after much deliberation - I put it in the center. Install is easy - the entire bracket is all aluminum, seems to be a high quality product - I replaced the included mounting hardware with a quick trip to the local Home Depot for some stainless bolts and nylock nuts and washers. Happy with the results - time will tell how well it stands up.

Comes well packed in a heavy shipping box (ordered from CJParts off eBay):
35666864111_4665879577_z.jpg

Contents of the kit:
35758297896_58cdc6c564_z.jpg

Few bux for stainless hardware from local Home Depot everything is 1/4 X 3/4 - if you get new hardware you only need 1/4 X 1/2" for the plate bolts:
35799139685_46e8b0414e_z.jpg

The front skid plate will have to be dropped but not removed - leave the font bolts really loose and take the long bolts out on the rear of the front skid and you should be able to get your paws in between the skid and bumper to get the hardware (nuts and washers) on.
34990663643_6547603f4e_z.jpg

Finished install - still blocks a little bit of the intercooler - any off-roading I"ll just pull the mount and plate:
34960370254_d7fbf7d6c7_z.jpg

Thanks for posting info on hardware as I did not like the hardware that came with the bracket.....

MaxMartini

Reaction score
Do you think there's any possible way that the hardware can be bent down a little bit, so that the plate itself is lowered by about 3/4 inch?

It would be nice if the mounted plate top was only as high as the second level diamond pattern on the mesh. That way the Onyx 6 light could be mounted as designed and be just right above the license plate, pretty much fully functional.

I live in Washington we have to run a front plate to. But I really want that Onyx 6 light. I was looking at this option as well. Just wondering if it can be modified.

I asked the original op, he didn't think so now I'm asking you LOL:crazy:

Thanks in advance

I have seen that Onyx 6 lite - I think it would be possible - but more moved down I think ? - the bracket is all aluminum it bends really easy - I used
3/4" length bolts for the plate hardware - you only really need 1/2" the bracket bolts were wagging on the diamond mesh grille so I bent just a tiny bit so the bolts and nut were not rubbing on the grille. I wonder if I flipped it over ?

Hope that helps ?

ChevTillNow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen that Onyx 6 lite - I think it would be possible - but more moved down I think ? - the bracket is all aluminum it bends really easy - I used
3/4" length bolts for the plate hardware - you only really need 1/2" the bracket bolts were wagging on the diamond mesh grille so I bent just a tiny bit so the bolts and nut were not rubbing on the grille. I wonder if I flipped it over ?

Hope that helps ?

Thanks.. it's good to know that it's bendable I might have to pull the trigger and see how I can make it work out.

I was also thinking I might be able to modify the mounting bracket where it attaches to the skid plate by adding some thickness, thus lowering it a bit. I'll have to order one and see what's possible.

I really like that onyx light LOL

DarthRaptor

Reaction score
I think I'd like the unique grill more if the mesh part of it was still black. Just too big of an orange block IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PyroRaptor413

Reaction score
If the posts they gave you on the plate mount were longer that would work. The way it is mailed and the angle and length they give you leaves you with little choice

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

it doesn't move up and down because the flat side is bolted tightly to the hook, it did move side to side until drilled one of the holes in the plate out larger so the u-bolt was completely snug. See photo below

14991859485452015679005_zpsvmgoyllj.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

I am going to check home depot tomorrow for plugs, i think the holes are 1/4"

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Here are 2 more photos of the emblems and air vents

14989349724351740914478_zpsxozbs9e7.jpg

1498935060556396969603_zpszst4lt6v.jpg

New York Knicks colors.Now you need to get the Knicks decal for your rear window.

Domitrix

Reaction score
The license plate kit is supposed to be at the post office tomorrow. Will probably do as the OP has done and mount it on the passenger side on the tow hook after bending the mount. Thanks for the info about the hardware.
As for getting a white NY license plate, I don't think that would work as well as the current Knick's colors. The front of the truck is forcefully busy with color and the white would be a tad bland.
Thanks for the posts!

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live in a state that requires front plates like it or not I had to put one on.

I've lived in Texas 11 years now and never had a front plate the entire time on any vehicle. Even when I've been pulled over I've never been asked about it. I also park in a DPS patrolled parking garage with 30 state troopers. They really don't care...

Low Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
For what it's worth, I just installed it on the passenger side bump instead of center, same install procedure. Computer is down, so I'm not able to take a picture.