Retractable Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heffneil

Reaction score
I really want to replace the boards on my truck with retractable ones. I understand why the factory running boards are so high for offroading. Problem is that I can't get in an out of my truck easily enough. The question is does anyone have any experience with the Ford ones or the aftermarkets? I want to do something there?

Thanks!

Neil

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to replace the boards on my truck with retractable ones. I understand why the factory running boards are so high for offroading. Problem is that I can't get in an out of my truck easily enough. The question is does anyone have any experience with the Ford ones or the aftermarkets? I want to do something there?

Thanks!

Neil
Before you make a decision I'll let you in on something

First when I had a car ram into my driver's door the running board took the majority of the blow and saved me from possible irreparable damage.

Second now one side of my truck doesn't have a running board and oh do the rocks fly up against the back fender now. I know this can be stopped with mud flaps or something but trust me you want something there if offroading, otherwise gravel and mud will eat away at your paint and fender flare on the rear

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Other than that AMP Research steps seem to be the best choice on the market, they are the ones everybody buys aftermarket

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

Neil

Not sure how much off-roading you do and what your budget is, but with just a little bit of work you might be able to have a bracket fabricated, or borrow from another running board system, and simply lower the existing running boards. That solution would work well as long as you keep it on pavement and gravel roads.

Gilligan

Reaction score
13735993_532449183629945_1502314113_n.jpg

SpeedJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the retractable ones on my 2015 F150, now driving a 2018 Raptor. I thought I would have wanted to put retractable ones on my Raptor, but now that I have it I actually like the fixed ones better. They seem to do a good job of keeping rocks from flinging up on the side of the truck, especially now that I have 0 offset wheels.

OP
OP
H

heffneil

Reaction score
Yeah I will be honest this truck will never go offroad. I am not worried about that at all. I think I will purchase the AMP boards but what I don't like about their setup is that it plugs in to the OBD II port. There is a version with a pass through I believe so it doesn't eat up your port. I looked and didn't realize the pedal commander is actually plugged in to the pedal not the OBD II.

DocSpooK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amp ones were included on mine. I think they open up too low to the ground (6”) leaving a 12” step up instead of being half way. They say they are rock sliders, but i am fully expecting to crush them based on how often i hit the frame on my last one. Will let you know how they hold up. I was also disappointed to see they use the obd port.
Also agree with above poster, its good to have outboard boards to protect sides from rocks, also my ADD boards took a hard hit at TRR that def prevented frame damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My wife is handicapped and likes the Raptor boards. No slip, keeps the rocks off and clean easily

As another poster said, get brackets made to put the stock ones where you need them.