GEN 2 Motorcycle ramps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

javierhall

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm new here - just bought my first Raptor, '17. One of the main things I want to do is load my BMW R1200GSA bike into the bed. I just ordered the Ford bed extender and motorcycle ramps, hoping they are both good solutions. I like the ramps because they stow against the side of the bed it looks like.

So generally - I'm wondering if anyone has loaded a bike of similar size into the Raltor on ramps. If so, any advice? Specifically would love to hear if anyone has experience and thoughts about these new Ford ramps.

Both of these parts just came into my dealer but they can't do the install for a couple weeks. They are willing to refund if the solution doesn't work for me. So I'm asking around to see if anyone has wisdom while I wait.

Any info greatly appreciated.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF !

I will not hold the brand of motorcycle against you ( the same brand whose famous brakes gave out on Susten pass and whose roadside assistance left my wife and I stranded in Italy not too long after.)

I am familiar with the bike, and the truck, but not the ramps. I wouldn’t want to be either because the Raptor bed is up there in altitude and I would not want to be dropping that <cough> a little <cough> portly <cough> 2 wheeler.

My question would be - does the GS fit into a 5.5’ space?
I’d definitely pull the bags off first, and honestly, I’m not sure what the best approach would be; ride up the ramp and hope for the best, or walk it up (under power).

I think the big concern would be the bouncy rear suspension. Not so big a deal with 3-4 hundred pounds, but 5-600 pounds could make the trip up the ramp a bit exciting.

Hopefully someone with bike hauling experience will chime in.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I loaded my Buell S3 into my GEN1 and transported it from Alabama to Nevada when I moved. Didn't use Ford ramps, though. Used a single-track ramp and walked the bike up it in first gear feathering the clutch while I walked up a 2x8 laid next to the ramp. No problems loading. Used four heavy duty tie-downs, and the 2,000 mile trip was uneventful. Unloading on a narrow ramp is more difficult and potentially hazardous because you're moving backwards and downwards. Unloading makes me sweat.

GrdnFrmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ktm 990 and 530 and considered these ramps. I really like the tailgate lip that the ramps slot into, but it's less helpful if you use the ramps on other vehicles. You also might want to check the weight rating. I think it's only 450lbs for one ramp, which is less than your bike. Unless you load on a declining hill, the ramps are short and would be a pretty steep climb to the bed. They also would interfere with the cleats I use to secure the bike, at least if you plan to stow them on the side mounts. Last, they were incompatible with the tonneau cover I use. Other than those issues, they are perfect.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a hitch carrier? There are many garbage versions of these out there, but a beefy well designed one can really simplify the process. Ones that use a bolted pin in the hitch really minimize wobble too. Super easy to load and unload by yourself, not to mention much safer... [insert youtube video of guy shooting bike over cab] :biggrin:

I have used this one for a few years now, can be had for ~$450 off amazon. They offer beefier and lighter ones too I believe, and im sure there are better ones than this offering. Sure it does take up some space when not in use, and some time to bolt on and remove, but been a worthwhile purchase for me and my uses. When you add up ramps and bed extender, probably cheaper too

MotoTote MTX Sport Motorcycle Carrier

1485_zpsbvvvcdgb.jpg

MTXS_12.jpg

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is rated @ 600lbs. I was looking at bikes similar to his when I bought it, and majority were ~550 or less with fluids

That all said, there is likely another beefier model or brand meant for harley's or bigger sport bikes that could work too

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just get a friend and manhandle it up. Trailer rental or find a steep driveway, loading dock, etc, that you can back up to. They are everywhere esp in commercial areas. Get the ramps as level as you can. Hopefully you can scope out the perfect loading dock.

Last edited: