GEN 2 Disappointing experience with Leveling Kit...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Hey,

This past weekend I installed the CJ Offroad 1.5" leveling kit on my 2018 Raptor (it's the perch collar approach).

Honestly...it raised the front by half an inch...no joke :(

I'm not new to leveling kits, installed about 10 of them. I know the results will vary....but come on now....half an inch. It was NOT worth the time and effort.

Anyone else experience this? I need to go up another 1.5" to level it. Would you go with the adjustable perch collar?

I'd love to return it to get my money back, but just not worth the effort to remove....just sucks a bit...but the world has bigger problems than leveling kits...I'm done bitchin' :biggrin:

ps I have a feeling my post will be removed because I called out a vendor, but it's the truth.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

We've been selling mostly the RPG ones and ICON AAC.
Every truck is slightly different. Usually the RPG 1.5" would raise the front about an 1" but it varies. If it was my truck and wanted to stick with OEM shocks (I probably wouldn't) then I would get an adjustable collar.

See I really don't see these products as "leveling kits" even though it does achieve that. To me the collars are to increase pre-load on the coil-over and are "Spring Preload kits" to provide a better off-road experience.

copb8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've been selling mostly the RPG ones and ICON AAC.
Every truck is slightly different. Usually the RPG 1.5" would raise the front about an 1" but it varies. If it was my truck and wanted to stick with OEM shocks (I probably wouldn't) then I would get an adjustable collar.

See I really don't see these products as "leveling kits" even though it does achieve that. To me the collars are to increase pre-load on the coil-over and are "Spring Preload kits" to provide a better off-road experience.
I'm just curious. If vendors provide a 1.5" collar how could one brand be better at leveling the truck than the other? Isn't it basically the same amount of preload across the board?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

phatjoe

Banned
Reaction score
OP, what made you go with this kit in the first place, versus the other ones?

Really for two reasons:
The RPG equivalent wouldn't by ready for another 2 weeks, and I was geeked up to start doing stuff to the truck.

They look identical, so went with the CJ model.

I would've been content with 1" gain in the front, but 1/2" is just crappy....

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested where you are measuring that from and if you would have had any different results with the 1.5" RPG collars. My guess is no, but I am curious as I just ordered the CJ 1.5" collars a few days ago. All the other reviews have said they are the same as the RPGs, just cheaper.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RPG has been an innovator in the Raptor world from the start. I would definitely pay a little more for their products than the other manufacturers mentioned, just saying.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
If staying with Collars, The RPG adjustable works well. It also provides adjustability without discharging the shock.

HOWEVER, Once you get to the "middle setting" which is 2.5", The factory shocks become rather stiff. It is a noticeable difference when compared to 1.5".

The RPG 1.5" kit gave me what I'd say is the best ride quality and lack of nose dive on braking that I've experienced on-road with the truck. ( stock, 1.5, 2 and 2.5 are what my frame of reference is).

Perhaps there is a way to find the sweet spot on the factory shocks when using the SVC CAS that is between the increments on the RPG collars? Might be interesting to play with different nitro charges since you're discharging anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of stiffness at 2.5", but need the height and will be swapping to a new set of coilovers that offer some adjustability. I'd also rather not invest any more coin in the factory kit.

Last edited: