Rear Wheel Travel with Leafs, Shocks and Shackles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the title says does anybody know if we can increase wheel travel in the rear with Deavers, new shocks and shackles? It seems like we could get a couple more inches of travel? I'm debating on going with a RPG RST18, but if I can get 16"or so without a bedcage and expense, that would be sweet. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
roostinyfz

roostinyfz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may gain some droop but not compression.

Yes, that makes sense. I guess this is really my question then how much droop travel can we gain? The RST 18 we are only gaining droop travel really too.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tcm-glx,
I have the RST 16, Deavers, and RPG drop shackles; and have about 7,000 miles on the set up now...
Droop? Try 22 inches! The extended brake lines are the limiting factor; I put on 18" limiting straps, (with welded brackets of 1" top and bottom for a total of 20") .
Be aware that you do need to cut the passenger front of the bed floor so it mirrors the profile of the drivers' side fuel fill relief. There is a panel supplied with the kit to weld over the cut out. Effectively there is no real loss of bed space.
The upper shock mounts are cut off, as are the lower. New lower shock mount brackets are supplied, and the upper mounts are integrated in the bolt on frame brackets as are the bump stops. There are two cross bars to stabilize/reinforce the bolt on brackets, one of them bolts on to a bracket that gets welded on to a frame cross member.
The Fox 3.5's are amazing. They are also wide! I had repeated problems getting all of the parts for my kit, and had the shocks mounted to the original mounts which were cut off and re welded to the spot the missing brackets were later welded to. In day to day driving I managed to rub the sidewall of the drivers' side tire against one of the adjustment tubes. No damage, but black streaks were left. When the kit lower shock mount brackets arrived we cut off the temporary placed original mounts and welded on the kit brackets slightly to the middle of the axle tube about 1/2 inch. I also put on rear wheel spacers. After some fairly rigorous off roading later, no more rubbing.
The workmanship on the kit is amazing. The customer relations not so. I would highly recommend the kit; just buy it from someone other than RPG.

Eddie

2017-09-05 2017-09-09 001 001.jpg

2017-09-05 2017-09-09 001 003.jpg

2017-09-05 2017-09-09 001 002.jpg

Last edited:

tcm glx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tcm-glx,
I have the RST 16, Deavers, and RPG drop shackles; and have about 7,000 miles on the set up now...
Droop? Try 22 inches! The extended brake lines are the limiting factor; I put on 18" limiting straps, (with welded brackets of 1" top and bottom for a total of 20") .
Be aware that you do need to cut the passenger front of the bed floor so it mirrors the profile of the drivers' side fuel fill relief. There is a panel supplied with the kit to weld over the cut out. Effectively there is no real loss of bed space.
The upper shock mounts are cut off, as are the lower. New lower shock mount brackets are supplied, and the upper mounts are integrated in the bolt on frame brackets as are the bump stops. There are two cross bars to stabilize/reinforce the bolt on brackets, one of them bolts on to a bracket that gets welded on to a frame cross member.
The Fox 3.5's are amazing. They are also wide! I had repeated problems getting all of the parts for my kit, and had the shocks mounted to the original mounts which were cut off and re welded to the spot the missing brackets were later welded to. In day to day driving I managed to rub the sidewall of the drivers' side tire against one of the adjustment tubes. No damage, but black streaks were left. When the kit lower shock mount brackets arrived we cut off the temporary placed original mounts and welded on the kit brackets slightly to the middle of the axle tube about 1/2 inch. I also put on rear wheel spacers. After some fairly rigorous off roading later, no more rubbing.
The workmanship on the kit is amazing. The customer relations not so. I would highly recommend the kit; just buy it from someone other than RPG.

Eddie

Appreciate the details and review. That’s good to hear. If I did, I would likely keep it to a 3.0 shock, I have heard many make mention that a 3.5 is a super tight squeeze. What did you do up front just curious?

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tcm-Glx,
I went with Fox 3.0's. I had an off roading incident last year where I severely messed up my front alignment, such that I couldn't get the front end properly aligned. So I also put on Icon upper A arms; that allowed enough adjustment to bring things into spec.

Eddie

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dude1782,
I believe that the up travel is not significantly impacted; the stock bumpstops limit up travel at a certain point. The bump shocks bottom out at about the same level. I would guess that maybe an inch or so of up travel may be lost...

Eddie

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the previous generation raptor, certain bump setups allowed for more up travel. I guess bump stops for towing that reduce up travel are all the rage now.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk