Anyone with a 2" perch kit have a CV boot tear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw this on instagram, wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience? There was a better picture of the tear posted earlier but I didn't screenshot it in time.

d8sirTB.jpg

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to bring race into this, haha but on some Gen1s this was a cause of a few torn boots.

Oddly I've been running mine at max preload (same as top perch) since I bought it in 2012, no torn boots so far. Although I don't run 4x4 very often, I have run hundreds of miles off road.

I've also been told this is a common problem off-roading and one should have spares at the ready when it does happen.

Last edited:

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think closer to 2.5" is a more accurate # where you may start seeing issues.... and I'd focus more on CV binding, as your torn boots could be related to debris.

No issues that i've seen or heard of so far with any 3" collar, which only equates to ~2.0-2.25" of lift (im @ 2.0" with slightly heavier bumper). The gen1 mid perch was ~1.5" of lift, which is equiv to the 2" bajamod spacer or 2.25" rpg collar. The 3" Collar is more a middle ground between mid and top. Looking forward to the new adj RPG collar to try a ~3.5" setting to net closer to 2.5" of lift.
@RPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

-Ryan-

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think closer to 2.5" is a more accurate # where you may start seeing issues.... and I'd focus more on CV binding, as your torn boots could be related to debris.

No issues that i've seen or heard of so far with any 3" collar, which only equates to ~2.0-2.25" of lift (im @ 2.0" with slightly heavier bumper). The gen1 mid perch was ~1.5" of lift, which is equiv to the 2" bajamod spacer or 2.25" rpg collar. The 3" Collar is more a middle ground between mid and top. Looking forward to the new adj RPG collar to try a ~3.5" setting to net closer to 2.5" of lift.
@RPG

Thanks for that info. Still deciding which perch to go with. The icon with the (small) shim and collar might be the way to go.

I just saw that new RPG collar this morning. That looks promising too.

Last edited:

coder

Reaction score
The CV boot is long enough to accommodate the entire range of suspension travel, a perch kit does not increase travel only change where you sit at ride height, so it does not seem like it would cause the boot to stretch beyond normal and tear.

Last edited: