For those of you that have installed aftermarket intercoolers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I guess this would only be for the folks that turn their own wrenches....

Have any of you noticed a fair amount of oil in your factory intercooler?

xjQzx44.jpg

Anyone notice oil covering the inside of the silicon coupler hoses ( the factory ones)?

WYx9cOh.jpg

I received my full-race intercooler today, so I started tearing down the truck and this is what I found.
It is a larger amount of oil than I'd expect. ( i've had many turbo cars previously and an '11 ecoboost f-150 too)

I'm taking pictures to show my dealer. But I'm wondering if this is normal for these motors.

Net/net, looks like I'm going to be installing catch cans next.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I easily had that much

Around 10k miles.

It’s also common for regular ecoboost.

I guess this would only be for the folks that turn their own wrenches....

Have any of you noticed a fair amount of oil in your factory intercooler?

xjQzx44.jpg

Anyone notice oil covering the inside of the silicon coupler hoses ( the factory ones)?

WYx9cOh.jpg

I received my full-race intercooler today, so I started tearing down the truck and this is what I found.
It is a larger amount of oil than I'd expect. ( i've had many turbo cars previously and an '11 ecoboost f-150 too)

I'm taking pictures to show my dealer. But I'm wondering if this is normal for these motors.

Net/net, looks like I'm going to be installing catch cans next.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ZombieKiller,
Some is normal. I had a couple of Cummins turbo diesel trucks...a 1998.5, and a 2004.5, and there was always a bit of oil in the intercoolers. Indeed I kept blowing off one of the intercooler hoses on the '98.5, and needed to wash the intercooler inlet and the hoses with brake cleaner to get them to stay on...
How much is a fair amount?
The catch cans are especially helpful in turbo's/SC intake systems secondary to pressurizing the crankcase....

Eddie

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, this is normal for the ecoboost. You will want to add a catch can on these to keep the oil from getting in the intercooler.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had about the same amount when I put in my Full Race IC. Every other turbo car I've owned has had a little bit of oil in the charge pipes. Catch can is a good buy.

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
those pictures are after i wiped it out once and soaked a yellow costco rag.

good to know its "normal", but I've never seen this much oil in an IC at 3800 miles on anything I've owned.

I have the full face catch can setup, but I couldn't get the truck to stop throwing codes with it on, no matter what i did.

Sasquatch78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is normal for the ecoboost. You will want to add a catch can on these to keep the oil from getting in the intercooler.

You need to stop misleading these people.

The only engine you have any intimate knowledge of is the tiny little motor in your vibrator.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those pictures are after i wiped it out once and soaked a yellow costco rag.

good to know its "normal", but I've never seen this much oil in an IC at 3800 miles on anything I've owned.

I have the full face catch can setup, but I couldn't get the truck to stop throwing codes with it on, no matter what i did.

What codes did it throw?