Installed oil catch can Day 1 of delivery...1500 miles later...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, thanks for the post and UPR link.

A few questions that have been making me procrastinate:
- Where, did you mount the can?
- How much of a PIA was it to pull out the intake DT for drilling?

Any chance you could post up a few pics of your install?

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats really not bad at all for 1500 miles of aggressive driving. you can totally just empty it every oil change.

Agreed.

You maybe have less than an ounce in there. That's nothing compared to a lot of other engines out there. And actually pretty damn good for a forced induction engine. This amount of oil wouldn't really hurt much at all, if anything.

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The standard install per the instructions mounts it to the body near the driver side headlight. Fits nice with plenty of room and access to the drain.

I was going to remove the intake tube; but, after loosening the band clamp on the turbo through the wheel well, I changed my mind and decided to get creative instead.

I made a ball of duct tape around a bent coat hanger and stuffed it down the tube past the spot you drill. It took me a few tries to crush the ball in my hands to get the right size, so start a little bigger. Plus, make a good strong hook with the coat hanger so you don't lose the ball in the tube if it sticks. I think playing with the ball size a bit helped reduce the tackiness as well, which was helpful. It doesn't take much to hold plastic shavings.

Then, I shoved a shop vac down near the area and proceeded to drill. After drilling, I then moved the shop vac hose all around for a couple minutes. Finally, I slowly pulled out the tape ball while spinning it around for good measure.

Based on what I saw on the tape ball and in the vac, it looks like I caught everything. Nevertheless, proceed at your own risk.

Honestly, the hardest part (if you can call it that) was playing with the hoses a bit to get the engine cover to sit properly. Definitely a great kit!

Jiman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting solution. I don't think I have the balls or luck to try that method. Knowing me that one plastic shaving would bust up my turbo :biggrin:

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting solution. I don't think I have the balls or luck to try that method. Knowing me that one plastic shaving would bust up my turbo :biggrin:

Completely understandable. I would always recommend removing the tube as the first and safest option. I'm just not sure if you can get it back on without removing the wheel well or not for adequate leverage. Getting to the band clamp around the turbo was easy enough, and it seems like removing wouldn't be bad.

You need to be extremely thorough to go the route I did. Making the tape ball was an experiment to build my confidence before I started (I wasn't sold before I started either). You also need to make sure the outer later has all sticky-sided tape facing out so you have 360deg of protection.

I put mine in about 2000 miles ago and everything has been great so far.

OP
OP
M

mhaynes772

Reaction score

It has a mounting location just below where the stock intake box is. It's a SUPER easy install and the instructions are great.

I DEFINITELY removed the intake tube to drill the hole. It's not really that big of a bitch and for me, personally, not worth the risk of sucking up plastic pieces. That took two seconds. My brother did have the tools readily available in his garage though.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the install. Sorry!

If you have a buddy to help (lining up the tube to the turbo after drilling the hole), it'll make things even easier and quicker.