Custom 5 Star Tune with HP Tuners NGauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johngm45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the spd turbo adapters /roush cold air with the 5 star tune and noticed a huge difference in faster turbo spool between gears , way more responsive , less turbo lag and a good amount of power. This is on my daily street tune 91 octane and allowed abit more air for my kooks down pipe going on soon. Towing a 4500 lb boat was amazing the power difference made it feel noticeably easier. However I am having a issues with my cruise control now ever since doing the tune. If I set for 75 mph it will go to 74 and up to 78 then slow down and keeps changing all time jerky and has something to do with this big performance change I'm guessing. Gas ⛽️ mileage definitely went down as it's holding higher RPM and wants to boost up way faster. Great value and will be doing dono pulls once kooks DP is installed.

Same here. I moved my oldest son to a new house for college and Pulled a 18' enclosed trailer full, tip to top. At 80 to 82 I got 9.4mpg.. but I never knew trailer was there !7dc0a0d7b05e61ce75f5777856bd3901.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine set to 91 performance and during the 3.5 hour drive from phoenix to Havasu it did the exact same thing. Would not maintain the set cruise speed. I turned off adaptive cruise and using the standard cruise it still did the same thing. Set at 75 would go up to 77 and then pull back to 73 or 74. Then all of the sudden it slammed in to 7th gear unbelievably hard out of no where and for no reason. Definitely has me concerned. I just re-flashed to the 91 daily tune until I can figure out what the heck is going on.

I never had the issue but 5 star sent me an ACC tune anyway. Apparently there is some tuning for the ACC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteWidow18

Reaction score
How are you guys holding up with the 5StarTune? I am shooting to order my tune next week, but would like any insight I can get.

Currently at 650 miles.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flashed this tune last week and so far have been largely unimpressed. Ebov opens during acceleration at low rpms causing the surge people complain about(their shop truck does this as well), LTFT's are off almost 30%, truck misfires at idle with plugs gapped correctly, tries to stall when putting it in reverse(i drove their shop truck and it does this as well), ACC causes downshifts with a hard thud and the throttle command ratio is far from ideal. I've seen 94% throttle plate at <20% accelerator input. I also appear to be getting significant tip in knock when in 4wd. These problems are with the offroad tune and probably why they don't recommend towing with it since its prone to tip in knock under load which is what im seeing in 4wd off road. I'll be emailing them tonight but i'm working on getting a new tuner lined up with significantly more experience. And I'll be using something other than an inertia dyno.

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old news though.

Mpt is the way to go.

Flashed this tune last week and so far have been largely unimpressed. Ebov opens during acceleration at low rpms causing the surge people complain about(their shop truck does this as well), LTFT's are off almost 30%, truck misfires at idle with plugs gapped correctly, tries to stall when putting it in reverse(i drove their shop truck and it does this as well), ACC causes downshifts with a hard thud and the throttle command ratio is far from ideal. I've seen 94% throttle plate at <20% accelerator input. I also appear to be getting significant tip in knock when in 4wd. These problems are with the offroad tune and probably why they don't recommend towing with it since its prone to tip in knock under load which is what im seeing in 4wd off road. I'll be emailing them tonight but i'm working on getting a new tuner lined up with significantly more experience. And I'll be using something other than an inertia dyno.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah these guys are laughable. They tried to tell me the cats make more power than catless. And they didn't know if their dyno was inertia or am eddy brake style.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started with 5 Star.

It threw codes and the transmission logic was terrible.

MPT has been unbeatable for performance. Gearhead has the smoothest tranny. Whipple reminds me a lot of Gearhead. House of boost I haven’t bothered and IDS requires a bully dog last I checked and im not interested in changing platforms.

Last edited:

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I started with 5 star. I have gearhead now. Not looking for anything else. It will go from 10th to 3rd when you stand on it and be so smooth

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I started with 5 Star.

It threw codes and the transmission logic was terrible.

MPT has been unbeatable for performance. Gearhead has the smoothest tranny. Whipple reminds me a lot of Gearhead. House of boost I haven’t bothered and IDS requires a bully dog last I checked and im not interested in changing platforms.

Yeah man, you have made it ABUNDANTLY clear that you had problems with 5 star and you prefer MPT.

Do you really think that every single tune from 5 star is like your experience? Would they stay in business if everyon e had the same experience as you?

I have the 5 star tune and I am quite happy with it. The first iteration was a little rough around the edges, but but take 2 has been great.

Enjoy your MPT tune, but coming in a 5 star thread and sack riding MPT further is just annoying.

edit:and your comments in that post that "MPT has been unbeatable for performance." in this thread, as well as claiming 5 star hp numbers are impossible and false are completely unfounded, and based solely on your ******* opinion.

Last edited: