Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2]

Burger Motorsports JB4 tuner install

This is a discussion on Burger Motorsports JB4 tuner install within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods - 3.5 Liter EcoBoost V6 [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Originally Posted by Onemoosehorn Interesting... I hope I'm wrong. If Ford isn't monitoring it and recording maximum levels, I would ...

User Tag List

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #31 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Onemoosehorn View Post
Interesting...
I hope I'm wrong. If Ford isn't monitoring it and recording maximum levels, I would run out and buy one now. They are a great product in my opinion.

Just to clarify my concern, I personally didn't run into 3 different engine issues on my BMW's running the JB4. I was trying to explain that all 3 models I owned had examples of owners that indicated BMW could see the max boost recorded if Germany had to investigate a blown engine or trans... If you are interested in further reading this issue has been discussed at LENGTH over on all the BMW forums. The issues has nothing to do with Burger Tuning's product, but is related to any tune that exceeds the factory boost levels. Nearly all Euro manufactures records that max boost, would be awesome if Ford didn't at this time.

GONE - 2014 Roush Ruby Red SE SCrew

2017 Lightning Blue SCrew
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Originally Posted by cayenne View Post
I hope I'm wrong. If Ford isn't monitoring it and recording maximum levels, I would run out and buy one now. They are a great product in my opinion.

Just to clarify my concern, I personally didn't run into 3 different engine issues on my BMW's running the JB4. I was trying to explain that all 3 models I owned had examples of owners that indicated BMW could see the max boost recorded if Germany had to investigate a blown engine or trans... If you are interested in further reading this issue has been discussed at LENGTH over on all the BMW forums. The issues has nothing to do with Burger Tuning's product, but is related to any tune that exceeds the factory boost levels. Nearly all Euro manufactures records that max boost, would be awesome if Ford didn't at this time.

I have been looking at a similiar unit that increases boost in a similiar manner. I would love to know if ford can record this.
Onemoosehorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #33 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)

That's how a piggy back works though.
garbage in/mix it up/garbage out- the truck still thinks its making stock boost. There's only two pressure sensors, and the JB4 is manipulating them.

I am a BMW master tech, own a BMW/RR/euro shop, and am a BMS dealer. I've installed a ton (hundreds?) of JB4's and know them intimately.
I also worked at the BMW dealer for 11 years.
That's why the JB4 is a viable option to have- it cleanly comes on/off, and leaves no trace. Your just twisting some pixies, not altering a program like a flash tune.

at the end of the day, you have to pay to play. If you're *THAT* concerned over your warranty, leave your vehicle stock.
smurfslayer. likes this.
halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #34 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Originally Posted by halogrinder View Post
That's how a piggy back works though.
garbage in/mix it up/garbage out- the truck still thinks its making stock boost. There's only two pressure sensors, and the JB4 is manipulating them.

I am a BMW master tech, own a BMW/RR/euro shop, and am a BMS dealer. I've installed a ton (hundreds?) of JB4's and know them intimately.
I also worked at the BMW dealer for 11 years.
That's why the JB4 is a viable option to have- it cleanly comes on/off, and leaves no trace. Your just twisting some pixies, not altering a program like a flash tune.

at the end of the day, you have to pay to play. If you're *THAT* concerned over your warranty, leave your vehicle stock.
Yes, you have solid experience. Your shop has a good great reputation... Not debating that, I'm not a master tech, I'm just the guy that has written code for sectors of the OEM ECU applications, I know what the Euro world is looking at, but not sure about Ford. What the BMW dealer can see at the local level by examining the DTC and what Germany has access to through FASTA data or embedded log files are completely different.

Everything is a "maybe" and that is why you have to play. Just like you said, it depends on the level you are concerned about. That's why I asked if we knew what Ford logs.

I've been messing with the Burger products since the N54 days, even with the old JB+ products. The one thing I'm going to challenge is that the boost logs aren't seeing increased boost. Piggybacks are the best route to leave little to no trace, but when you are dealing with a turbo car, you are getting performance increase based on increased boost. I've never seen where Burger has stated that they are forcing or overwriting false/lower boost signal back into the embedded log files. That would be the only way to mask that you are running higher boost.

I have seen on the F chassis BMW where the log is recording boost above the threshold when a piggyback was used, it's just a risk that is there and we all have to be aware of. At the end of the day how this behaves on the BMW is likely irrelevant, I was inquiring how much we knew about the Ford derivative.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #35 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Yes, you have solid experience. Your shop has a good great reputation... Not debating that, I'm not a master tech, I'm just the guy that has written code for sectors of the OEM ECU applications, I know what the Euro world is looking at, but not sure about Ford. What the BMW dealer can see at the local level by examining the DTC and what Germany has access to through FASTA data or embedded log files are completely different.

Everything is a "maybe" and that is why you have to play. Just like you said, it depends on the level you are concerned about. That's why I asked if we knew what Ford logs.

I've been messing with the Burger products since the N54 days, even with the old JB+ products. The one thing I'm going to challenge is that the boost logs aren't seeing increased boost. Piggybacks are the best route to leave little to no trace, but when you are dealing with a turbo car, you are getting performance increase based on increased boost. I've never seen where Burger has stated that they are forcing or overwriting false/lower boost signal back into the embedded log files. That would be the only way to mask that you are running higher boost.

I have seen on the F chassis BMW where the log is recording boost above the threshold when a piggyback was used, it's just a risk that is there and we all have to be aware of. At the end of the day how this behaves on the BMW is likely irrelevant, I was inquiring how much we knew about the Ford derivative.
Excellent response. I completely agree, dealers only get the tip of the iceberg on real data that comes out of the car VS what FASTA transmits. Heck, the data available in INPA vs ISTA is downright pitiful. Why wouldn't they let you see data of VANOS gears moving back and forth- its a telltale sign when you're running into VANOS codes, and is ultra easy to see.

And yes, we're getting off track goofing off with BMW stuff- when Ford stuff is completely different :D (although somewhat similar in DME/ECU stuff- kinda)
halogrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #36 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

So the way JB4 "tunes" the truck is different from say the MPT "tune"? Maybe less traceable? I'm very interested in doing something to my Raptor for more power.
yellowssm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #37 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

In the end, if or when you took your car in for a warranty repair, with the jb4 removed, and they did have logs that showed the boost was elevated beyond stock, how could they prove it was the fault of the jb4? I mean you could have a sticking wastegate actuator, or glitchy boost sensors that could also cause an overboost condition. Just saying. Pretty dificult to prove conclusively. Now if you do a software flash to the pcm, that leaves a permanent mark and an obvious one.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Full Access Member

@halogrinder You had to bring up that dirty word VANOS!

Brought back some bad memories for sure...