Would you still buy a new 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

unixadm

Reaction score
New member here. Currently looking at trading my 2017 Shelby GT350 in Lightning Blue for a 2017/18 Raptor with 802A, Sunroof, Forged Wheels, Tech Package, Carbon Package.

I have been trying to work with a local dealer here in the Sacramento area on a 2018 Magnetic SCREW Raptor, but they won't come off a $10k over ADM. Everyone I'e contacted around here has a damn ADM. Same thing I faced when I bought my GT350. I ended up buying that from Texas because it was a 50 state vehicle only. However, with the Raptor, it's not as easy to buy out of state, since most don't have CA emissions.

So I found another Ford dealership in the area with an unadvertised 2017 Raptor SCREW, 802A, Tech Package, Lightning Blue, Hood Graphics Package, Heating Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Carbon Package, Forged Wheels, Tailgate Appliqué, Tailgate Step, Bed Extender. MSRP is almost $71k. The dealers owner has it as a demo with 400 miles. I really wanted an 2018 because of the oil pan leak which seems to be popping up and the B&O audio. I was also leaning more towards Magnetic or Lead Foot. However, what do you guys think about buying a 2017 right now? If it's a demo, then it should be sold as new. They will also throw in a Line-X Pro bedlinen, since this one doesn't have the factory liner installed.

It's the only MSRP or maybe slightly sub-MSRP deal I've found in the area. The only option it has that I really don't want is the hood graphics.

I'm trying to trade out of my GT350 this month because the registration is due in early January to the tune of $650. So I'd rather make that someone else problem too. :)

Last edited:

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not pay anything close to msrp for a demo 17. Not even 5k under IMO. I paid msrp back in March for a undriven 4mi truck.

JonnieBear

Reaction score
Honestly, if they offered invoice, yes I would consider it. But there are plenty of 18s to be had out of state. I too am from California and I bought out of state for msrp on an 18. Trust me brother, look out of state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People have to remember that pricing is regional. The person who said they would not pay 5k under MSRP is comparing what they can buy in OH to what you can get in CA. Since you are trading your 350 it makes the out of state purchase more difficult. You would have to have a dealer agree to not only a sales price, but also agree to a fair trade in price. Then you have to drive your car x miles, hope the dealer doesn’t do something funky when you get there, then drive your new truck x miles back home. Not that these things are super hard, just time consuming and need to be factored into the equation on buying out of state.
The 2017 demo with only 400 miles would not concern me at all. Sure it’s not the very best deal you could find if you searched the entire country but it’s not a bad deal espically for where you live. Here in Texas most used 2017s are listed within 1-2k of invoice and those have thousands of miles.

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
Good point. The demo aspect doesn't bother me. 400 miles is nothing. I've bought cars that had more miles on that due to dealer transferring. It would bother me if it messed with the inservice date for the warranty though.

I do have the GT350 trade, though I'm checking with some of the dealerships I didn't buy a Raptor from to see if they would just buy my car outright. I've had a $53,500 and $54k offer for the GT350, which I consider fair. It's an easy money maker for them out here.

Getting invoice out here isn't happening. I also have to **** around with going to the DMV if I buy out of state, weight cert and all that.

I just wanted an 18 which this dealer also has with a $15k ADM.

And yes, pricing is regional. Here in Northern California, most dealerships seem proud of their Ford Performance vehicles. Same if you want to buy a Hellcat.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just reading your comments it seems like you really want the 18 and ultimately may not be happy with the 17 because it is missing a few features that the 18 has. I’m kind of the same way, when I buy something I get fixated on getting excatally what I want. If I settle for something less I end up not happy with it. That’s what you are going to have to answer your self, are you okay with the 17 missing the BO system (not a big deal, but it’s tangible) or are you okay waiting for an 18 at MSRP where you live or doing out of state. That’s really more on what you feel good about doing. If you are okay with the very small tangeiable difference the 17 has versus the 18 then get the 17. If that difference is going to bug you once you get the 17, then wait for an 18

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
In the scope of things, the audio system wouldn't ring my bell. But you're right, I thought I had a deal close on an 18 which fell apart, and now I'm kind of trying to figure out a plan B. The best thing would probably be to back burner this for a few months and revisit it. The crap part is, the GT350 is just sitting in the garage and will be during the winter months. I could be out messing around in the Raptor year round.

I just hate greedy dealers and unfortunately, no matter where I look within reason, that's all I'm finding. lol

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptorfinder.com

Have to pay a fee for the service but it’s worth it