Questions about Dash Cam wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a dash cam. With all of the crazy crap you see on the roads now a days I figured having video of anything that happens could potentially help me out.

After doing a fair amount of research I decided on this camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019WXYCMM/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

The camera will be here tomorrow.

My question is what is the easiest way to run power to the camera other than using the lighter plug? Are any of the upfitter switches hot all of the time? I'm thinking that would be the easiest way plus any time I'd want the camera to stay on while the truck is parked I can just leave the power on.

I also bought this hard wire extension kit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH4ZVHO/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a dash cam. With all of the crazy crap you see on the roads now a days I figured having video of anything that happens could potentially help me out.

After doing a fair amount of research I decided on this camera https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019WXYCMM/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

The camera will be here tomorrow.

My question is what is the easiest way to run power to the camera other than using the lighter plug? Are any of the upfitter switches hot all of the time? I'm thinking that would be the easiest way plus any time I'd want the camera to stay on while the truck is parked I can just leave the power on.

I also bought this hard wire extension kit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH4ZVHO/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Upfitters are all ignition switched power.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well so much for that idea.

Still curious to hear how anyone has powered their camera or any other similar device

It may be possible. Check new post by whatexit

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Well so much for that idea.

Still curious to hear how anyone has powered their camera or any other similar device

If you plan on mounting up near the mirror you could get power from the mirror but it's switched ignition power as well. Do you really need to record while truck is off? Not sure if your camera is like mine but most record in a loop so I don't see the benefits of having it on while not driving

OP
OP

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It may be possible. Check new post by whatexit

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

If you plan on mounting up near the mirror you could get power from the mirror but it's switched ignition power as well. Do you really need to record while truck is off? Not sure if your camera is like mine but most record in a loop so I don't see the benefits of having it on while not driving

I won't record most of the time it's off but certain places I may park I would like it to run. Hence the on/off switch thought.

Where is the post by whatexit?

I tried searching for any threads on this topic ahead of time but didn't find any.

Last edited:

Seartrip

Reaction score
03Darin-

I have mine wired to upfitter switch #6, which is switched of course. For me, it works the way I want it to- camera comes on as soon as I start the truck, and it goes off a few seconds after it shuts off. I didn't want to have the possibility of leaving it on all the time due to power draw, possibly overheating the camera if it's parked in the sun (those things get baked! They're designed for it but after a while the batteries cook out) and left on, and I also didn't want to fill the memory card and loop over video footage I may have wanted to retain for a bit longer. But your use case may vary.

I used a USB extension power cable to bring power up from the passenger footwell via the upfitter extension leads located there (had to connect them in the engine bay), and tucked the wire into the door seal and headliner. Standard wire hiding deal.

So I generally leave my upfitter switch on all the time, and I like being able to toggle the camera off if I'd rather not have my location and/or audio recorded. Best to avoid self-incrimination sometimes. :)

Good luck.

OP
OP

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
03Darin-

I have mine wired to upfitter switch #6, which is switched of course. For me, it works the way I want it to- camera comes on as soon as I start the truck, and it goes off a few seconds after it shuts off. I didn't want to have the possibility of leaving it on all the time due to power draw, possibly overheating the camera if it's parked in the sun (those things get baked! They're designed for it but after a while the batteries cook out) and left on, and I also didn't want to fill the memory card and loop over video footage I may have wanted to retain for a bit longer. But your use case may vary.

I used a USB extension power cable to bring power up from the passenger footwell via the upfitter extension leads located there (had to connect them in the engine bay), and tucked the wire into the door seal and headliner. Standard wire hiding deal.

So I generally leave my upfitter switch on all the time, and I like being able to toggle the camera off if I'd rather not have my location and/or audio recorded. Best to avoid self-incrimination sometimes. :)

Good luck.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll probably end up going this route just for the ease of installation.

When you connected the pass through wiring under the battery you only need to connect one wire, right? Just the one for the switch you are going to use?

Seartrip

Reaction score
That is correct- one wire only. Two comments: the wire connections are up near the firewall behind the battery, and the gauge of the wire for switch #6 is really thinner than I would've expected. I think it's rated for 5A, but the light gauge was kind of surprising.

Any questions let me know.

zmw

Reaction score
why not opt for a blackvue which comes with their "magic power" box - which allows you to record for a period of time or until voltage drops. It's what I plan on doing, I'll set the voltage to 12.5 which would allow it to record for days or longer. Their cameras have NO batteries in them and instead use a capacitor in the magic box and it is powered directly off an always on fuse extension.

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can make the upfitters hot all the time by running a 12v line off the passenger footwell fusebox, through ceiling, and into upfitter space.
There's a youtube video I followed with success. Sounds like a PITA but not really that bad.