Question on undercoating with Amsoil HDMP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Wolf

Reaction score
After following several threads here on undercoating with Amsoil HDMP I decided to give it a shot. I've got everything I need ready to go. I'm no auto-mechanic, I don't have the knowledge level of such things that many of you do, so I just had a couple of small questions.

1) Did you remove the skid plate(s)? If so, which ones, all of them? Hopefully they are pretty easy to get on and off?

2) I don't plan on removing the wheels as I don't have jack stands or anything like that, but I do plan on masking them off so I don't get anything on them.

3) Any hints or tips on what to coat and what not to? Based on my reading here it sounds like coating the exhaust is still a good idea.

Thanks!

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After following several threads here on undercoating with Amsoil HDMP I decided to give it a shot. I've got everything I need ready to go. I'm no auto-mechanic, I don't have the knowledge level of such things that many of you do, so I just had a couple of small questions.

1) Did you remove the skid plate(s)? If so, which ones, all of them? Hopefully they are pretty easy to get on and off?

2) I don't plan on removing the wheels as I don't have jack stands or anything like that, but I do plan on masking them off so I don't get anything on them.

3) Any hints or tips on what to coat and what not to? Based on my reading here it sounds like coating the exhaust is still a good idea.

Thanks!

1) No, I did not remove them. Just use the straw attachment to reach in and spray the top-side of the skid plats, the the undersides of the truck parts above the skid plates.

2) Yes, mask the wheels off. Do get in behind the wheels and coat the suspension components the best you can.

3) Coat everything. The only thing I did not coat were the rear shocks, since they are so visible. I applied Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating to the rear shocks for protection. You can also use Adam's Ceramic Wheel Coating.

Wear a respirator, googles, and old clothes that you can toss, and have good ventilation. The HDMP really has a strong smell to it.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wear a respirator, googles, and old clothes that you can toss, and have good ventilation. The HDMP really has a strong smell to it.

I second this.

If you want to see what HDMP coated shocks look like (after some on and off road miles) click the link in my sig. They don't look great but it doesn't bother me. And they're perfectly corrosion free underneath there.

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second this.

If you want to see what HDMP coated shocks look like (after some on and off road miles) click the link in my sig. They don't look great but it doesn't bother me. And they're perfectly corrosion free underneath there.

I have been using MP for years too. Good product, works well.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also cover the whole truck. mphd gets in the air and will settle on the top surfaces. ask me how I know. I used a old truck cover. or you can buy thin plastic film,

OP
OP
1Wolf

1Wolf

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on doing this out in my driveway, so if the weather holds, I'm hoping to tackle it this weekend.

1) No, I did not remove them. Just use the straw attachment to reach in and spray the top-side of the skid plats, the the undersides of the truck parts above the skid plates.

2) Yes, mask the wheels off. Do get in behind the wheels and coat the suspension components the best you can.

3) Coat everything. The only thing I did not coat were the rear shocks, since they are so visible. I applied Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating to the rear shocks for protection. You can also use Adam's Ceramic Wheel Coating.

Got it. Thank you. That's a brilliant idea about the Ceramic Wheel Coating. I just now ordered that ceramic wheel coating kit as I think I'm going to do the same. Not to mention, I'd think the hydrophobic properties should help it to keep looking nice as well.

I followed your thread on here when you did this, and purchased the same. Tyvek suit, 3M respirator, good goggles, etc.

Also cover the whole truck. mphd gets in the air and will settle on the top surfaces. ask me how I know. I used a old truck cover. or you can buy thin plastic film,

Thanks beemerman. I got a bunch of plastic sheeting to lay down on the driveway to protect that. Then I've got another roll of plastic to protect the truck and mask off the wheels. Also, hopefully doing it outside should cut down on the amount of stuff floating around as well.