GEN 2 Please help me decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacksomers

Reaction score
I'm sitting on the fence right now on what to purchase. I love the new Raptor, I love how it drives, and how it looks. But the thing is I do a lot of driving. I live in San Francisco and regularly driving down to Los Angeles with my wife to see her parents, up to four times month. What do you think is best, get a new Raptor, or get a SuperDuty Diesel which may be better for the excessive miles? I plan to do off roading when possible, both on trails and eventually heavy offroading. I tow my Shelby Mustang at times, but that'll be it on towing. Loads in the bed will be pretty light. Really appreciate your thoughts! Thank you.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for the new one's reliability exactly but my experience with my raptor has been fantastic. 2013 and already racked up 100k miles with little to no issues whatsoever.

I know that diesels are supposed to last longer but contrary to popular belief my 2011 superduty got the death wobble and ended up shooting metal shards into the engine when the high pressure fuel pump blew. That was the end of that truck for me with damages through the roof. And believe it or not only 71k miles. Stock, no tunes no lift or anything.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The raptor will be much more fun offroading and would be more comfortable throughout the entire time, unless your mustang trailer weighs 20 thousand pounds I think it'll suit you much better.

To make a superduty off road capable and worthy you'd end up tacking on a pretty penny on top of the stock price and would void the warranty no doubt

Last edited:
OP
OP
jacksomers

jacksomers

Reaction score
Can't speak for the new one's reliability exactly but my experience with my raptor has been fantastic. 2013 and already racked up 100k miles with little to no issues whatsoever.

I know that diesels are supposed to last longer but contrary to popular belief my 2011 superduty got the death wobble and ended up shooting metal shards into the engine when the high pressure fuel pump blew. That was the end of that truck for me with damages through the roof. And believe it or not only 71k miles. Stock, no tunes no lift or anything.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The raptor will be much more fun offroading and would be more comfortable throughout the entire time, unless your mustang trailer weighs 20 thousand pounds I think it'll suit you much better.

To make a superduty off road capable and worthy you'd end up tacking on a pretty penny on top of the stock price and would void the warranty no doubt

@waddellw I really appreciate your comments and glad to hear you've had worry free driving out of your 2013 Raptor. That's a great amount of miles. I feel the 6.2 is a reliable workhorse, I'm concerned about the 3.5 as I have it in my 2012 F150 and at times runs terrible.

The trailer and car are not near the towing limit of the Raptor, so no issue there.

Fair comment on the SuperDuty Offroad Capability, what I've looked in to, it will cost in excess of $2-3K

Thanks again for your comments.

jorligan

Reaction score
Have almost 1000 miles on MY18 Raptor. Traded in my 15 F150 with 3.5. Raptor is great and amazed at the ride on the highway as compared to F150. Prior F150 had 40K miles when traded including around 10K towing miles so I am comfortable with the 3.5 motor durability although this one has been redesigned.

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Raptor not only because I own one, but it's just so much fun to drive. For the occasional off road ventures, the Raptor will obviously be the better choice. It doesn't sound like you will be towing anything outside the Raptor's capabilities, or hauling anything outside the payload capacity. Lastly, the Raptor has stellar resale value and even ones with fairly high miles still go for a nice penny used. The F-250 is nice in it's own right, but now that I own a Raptor, there is no way I could buy a 3/4 ton truck unless I absolutely had to have it to tow a house. Good luck either way!

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will NEVER get a better ride than a Raptor, no matter which generation, Period!

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not worry about reliability on the 3.5. I think Ford has that engine down and I don't see it being significantly less reliable long term than the SD. Here is a quick pro/con list I made. I did own a 2014 Platinum SD (last gen).

Raptor
Pros:
Better Ride vs SD (SD is very stiff)
Much Better off road (SD is capable off road, but it will beat you up and it is heavy)

Cons:
Tires will have to be changed more often versus SD (somewhat offset by lower maintenance cost on Raptor vs SD)
SD will tow that Mustang like a champ, Raptor can pull it but not nearly as well.

I think resale will be about a wash on them. The SD holds value very well even with high miles much like the Raptor. I also assume purchase price will be about the same. The SD will sticker for more, but dealers will come off of the price some. The Raptor for the most part will sell at MSRP (will have to work to get to that price).

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're unsure then perhaps a Raptor's not the vehicle for you. You came on a Raptor forum to ask so of course everyone's going to say Raptor.
Now with that aside I just traded in a '13 F250 Platinum for my Raptor. I went to the F250 5 years ago from a F150 not because of needs but because I could. It was a great truck and gave me 80k trouble free miles but for your needs its no comparison. Raptor all the way.