Long Weekend Salty Trip - How do I Protect the Frame???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all - picked up my gen 2 a week ago. Next weekend I plan to take it about 9 hours north on an ice fishing trip in MN. I am concerned with road salt. I plan to rinse the frame when I get it home, but I know how quickly salt can work on the frame of a vehicle... Is there anything that I can do in the next week to protect the frame during the trip? I don't figure I have time to get it in for undercoating and I'm really not sure that is something I want to do due to overspray and such.. I have a bunch of Adam's products coming Tuesday and will have the body protected, just looking for frame advice here.. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really didn’t want to undercoat it in fear of someone spraying everywhere they shouldn’t. I didn’t have the option for it at the dealer I bought it because it was a quick deal and I drove 5 hours for it. I realize we get a lot of salt and I don’t mind hosing it off underneath when I get it into my garage, but I worry about longer trips and their affect on the frame. Maybe I should just undercoat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might call the local line-x dealer Monday and see what they can do for me...

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
DannyM2009,
Get it undercoated.
Period.
Metal man in the Adirondacks has a saying.."Rust NEVER sleeps". The corollary is "Nor does corrosion..."
Protect your investment..ZIEBART it...you'll be glad you did.

Eddie

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoulda Amsoil'ed it immediatley after delivery IMHO...

Might as well take it up north now and rinse it off on a regular basis during the rest of winter. Then, come spring, clean it off really good and go to town with 2 or 3 cans of their heavy duty metal protector.

My .02

OP
OP
dannym2009

dannym2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a Ziebart in under 100 miles.

COBRA90GT - is this a clear spray that I can buy and go crazy with underneath the truck? Anything I shouldn’t get it on? Thinking I could get it by Thursday, spray it Thursday night and leave Friday morning. I bought the truck (new) last Saturday (a week ago), drove it 4.5 hours home, sprayed it underneath when I pulled it in the garage and it hasn’t really moved since. I think I should still be good to use this stuff?

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a Ziebart in under 100 miles.

COBRA90GT - is this a clear spray that I can buy and go crazy with underneath the truck? Anything I shouldn’t get it on? Thinking I could get it by Thursday, spray it Thursday night and leave Friday morning. I bought the truck (new) last Saturday (a week ago), drove it 4.5 hours home, sprayed it underneath when I pulled it in the garage and it hasn’t really moved since. I think I should still be good to use this stuff?

You can spray everything with the Amsoil HDMP. Give it a good wash dry it off and spray it down. I used a couple of ramps to make it easier to reach. I personally stayed away from the exhaust even though I was told it would burn off. I made a post about it http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f260/hdmped-my-raptor-today-52289/

Good luck,
Tone