GEN 2 Help...late allocation '17 Depreciation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
LOL..this one hit home as I have a pristine 2010 PDK Turbo and a '15 GT-R both of which mostly sit on battery tenders and have 5k and 1k miles on them respectively. I have a POS daily driver (relative..its a little '13 ISF) and want the truck to replace the lexus so I need to get what I want and not worry about the depreciation--- I worry enough about that on my other two garage queens.
Thanks for the slap in the head fellas!! Forums are good for that. Very excited about the AG paint anyway.

Niiiice cars! My GTR just sits in the garage as well. 2012 FBO w/ around 4,200 miles. And def in your case stay with the Avalanche if that's the color you picked. I think that alone will make up for it being a 17' vs an 18

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, late '17s aren't going to have '18 tweaks. That's not how modern manufacturing at scale happens. They finish building '17s, shut the line down and do a turn-around to gear up for '18s.

Engineers continuously identify problems and implement software and material updates throughout the model year. MY18 features such as B&O play, ACC stop and go, sync connect wifi hotspot, new exterior colors, etc. obviously won't be available, but most engineering deficiencies/kinks/bugs are corrected as soon as the manufacturing fix is available regardless of pending MY changes.

Although you are correct in the sense that Ford shuts down production for a given model year to retool as needed before reopening the line for next model year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dirtgod

Reaction score
true dat

This is completely false. Engineers continuously identify problems and implement software and material updates throughout the model year. MY18 features such as B&O play, ACC stop and go, sync connect wifi hotspot, new exterior colors, etc. obviously won't be available, but most engineering deficiencies are "tweaked" as soon as the fix is available regardless of pending MY changes.

I have had some litigation experience in warranty matters as a manufacturer's defense counsel and can vouch that this is true---it is much much less expensive for this type of remediation (at the factory) versus allowing a continuing problem in a build and is the reason why you will often see the term "Production Change Effective VIN" on a manufacturer's TSB (technical service bulletin) or on any recall -- it reflects those vehicles coming off the line for that Model Year that are not subject to the TSB/recall as everything after the PCE vin was subjected to the fix they imposed at the factory.

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other potential consideration for folks deciding between 17 and 18 that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Raptor Assault is currently free for 2017 Raptor Owners - it may stay that way through 18, or it may become a paid event similar to the other Ford Performance Driving courses.

sobiloff

Reaction score
I have had some litigation experience in warranty matters as a manufacturer's defense counsel and can vouch that this is true---it is much much less expensive for this type of remediation (at the factory) versus allowing a continuing problem in a build and is the reason why you will often see the term "Production Change Effective VIN" on a manufacturer's TSB (technical service bulletin) or on any recall -- it reflects those vehicles coming off the line for that Model Year that are not subject to the TSB/recall as everything after the PCE vin was subjected to the fix they imposed at the factory.

I consult with a couple manufacturers as well, helping them manage their litigation, retention, and production processes. The OP was talking about new features advertised for MY'18 appearing in the tail production run of MY'17 vehicles. That doesn't happen. As you correctly point out, however, if there's a defect identified that's significant enough to be a possible NHTSA issue, then a rolling change may happen at any time.

1mbrews8

Reaction score
Niiiice cars! My GTR just sits in the garage as well. 2012 FBO w/ around 4,200 miles. And def in your case stay with the Avalanche if that's the color you picked. I think that alone will make up for it being a 17' vs an 18

GAWD~! Another (CBA) garage queen owner here too lol!

The wife keeps trying to talk me into selling it for a new raptor, but don't think I can...

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
never a minivan lol!

She drives an (ugly in my opinion) a Infinity QX80.. I told her the Raptor has almost as much room, but she didn't fall for it :eek:)
Try a nice romantic diner out first with plenty of wine and then pop the question...lol