Gen 2 VS Gen 1 My Experience/Opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenbrackins

Reaction score
Hello All,

I had a silver 2012 that I bought brand new and drove for 6+ years, I traded for a silver 2018 last week. Here are my thoughts after 300 miles of driving the new one. Let me start by saying these are my opinions and I don't want to start a nasty discussion over the whole Gen 1 vs Gen 2 thing. I loved my 2012 (both screws) but I had some tranny issues and then my AC went out and it was out of warranty so I decided to get a new one ( that truck only had 61K miles). I usually don't keep vehicles that long but I really liked that truck. That being said, here is my initial opinions about the 2018: 18.6 MPG!!!!! WTF?? I have been getting 11.9 when I baby the '12. The '18 is much faster and it just feels better to drive (perhaps the lighter weight?) They both have their exterior appeal and I would have to say the '18 wins only because of the cool LED lighting around the front end. The running boards definitely look better on the 12 IMO. Interior very similar but on the 12 I removed the rear headrests in order to see better out of the rear window. With the 18 they seem smaller and it is not necessary to take them out. The toggle switches are now overhead and seem to be in a better location. Overall the interior is about the same (18 has a cool "performance ford" in red on the door sill the does look nicer but the 12 floor matts seem to be heavier and look better than the 18. The 18 has paddle shifters that I doubt I will ever use and you can also choose the steering feel, something I won't use that much. The lumbar in the 18 is either electric or pneumatic where the 12 was mechanical. It does seem that the seats are a bit more comfortable in the 18. I got a nice trade-in value on the 12 so it wasn't a big deal for me to upgrade to the 2018. And yes I did say "upgrade" because many of you have ragged the Ecoboost but after driving it I say if you are contemplating on getting the Gen 2, you should go for it and I am sure you will be happy. These are only my opinions so please don't tell me how wrong I am. Full disclosure, I am a motorhead and have owned a 2006 Ford GT and currently have a 2015 Viper, (which is a superior vehicle performance-wise btw) also I still have my high school car- 1969 Mach 1 428 CJ 4 speed which used to seem quick but the old saying "there is no replacement for displacement" has been debunked. Probably half the cars today would beat that Mustang in the 1/4 mile when it used to smoke almost everyone back in the early 80's. Look at the new Ford GT and tell me you would rather have a Coyote under the hood. I am only putting this post up to help anyone that is looking for a firsthand account of comparing the two trucks. Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

ademarco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am waiting for my Leadfoot from Team Ford as they are the only dealer near SoCal that won’t hit you with the ADM. I have always been a performance car enthusiast, but test drove a Raptor and love the feel and room in the truck. Transitioning from being single with only need for 2 seats to a family of four does that to you. The only think that would make it meaner would be like a GL63 with V8TT. The exhaust noise has something more to be desired. If it had an LS exhaust, then it would be complete. At least you don’t have to deal with the drone of a performance exhaust. Full Race makes some kits for these, but I haven’t seen a member do an install yet. Enjoy it in good health [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a fair comparison. I have a '12 and a '16 FX. I would agree on the performance. On the road, even the FX handles great. 4 years of improvement shows as it should. Not sure about your gen 1 milage. I'm not a hard driver but mine is sitting on 15.1 from day 1 and that includes 25% of its miles towing or high speed freeway, sometimes both.

ArcticRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Sage said, sounds like a fair comparison. I still have my 11, but find myself driving the 2018 more often, and the wife and I argue over who gets what truck sometimes. I've got 148K on the 2011 with next to no issues with it, so it has served me well. It feels much heavier, and in my opinion smaller, but not sure why it feels that way in regards to the size. I wasn't overly impressed with the performance of the 3.5 right off the bat, but installed the Whipple Stage 1 and Borla Atak and it really woke the truck up. I'm a bit annoyed with an odd shift in the 3-4-5 range on the 18 which some other members seem to be experiencing. Also had the annoying heat shield rattle, but finally got that fixed. Both trucks turn the heads, but the 18 definitely gets more attention.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah... more power, drives great... but what about the sound??

;-)

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i'd rather have a twin turbo'ed CPC 5.2 Voodoo block, gt350 headed firebreather pushing out about 1350 hp with a rossler 3 speed and a herbst/crisman rear end running jimco parts and an 11.5" ring gear.

But, I'd also prefer to not have had to write a check for 500K to get there.

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree I had same exact 2012 and have the 17 screw. Don't like the sound but i also have the Henessey 600 on the 17. Got a good deal on that tune, with that being said it is really fast. I now need bigger breaks but probably wont because i have the black 17inch methods on it. Gas id don't car about milage I floor it everyday did so in the 12. Thanks for your post.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd rather have a twin turbo'ed CPC 5.2 Voodoo block, gt350 headed firebreather pushing out about 1350 hp with a rossler 3 speed and a herbst/crisman rear end running jimco parts and an 11.5" ring gear.

But, I'd also prefer to not have had to write a check for 500K to get there.

This!!!!!

Kinda miss my 14 sometimes and the 11 only cause it was a scab....first oil change and tire rotation at 4K miles on my 18 and it wouldn’t start and needed a new fuse block. I think he 18 is better and will be after I finish the suspension and decide on a bbk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dbull65

Reaction score
Good review, I had a similar experience when I traded my 2013 SCREW in for my 2018 SCREW. The new truck is better in every way, except the sound. I should note, the sound is not bad, but does not sound nearly as good as a V8. Easy enough to forgive as everything else is amazing!