GEN 2 First scheduled maintenance ... when?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
No need to baby it and that can actually lengthen the break-in time. Just avoid towing for the first 1k. You will know when the truck is fully broken in when the fuel milage stabilizes. I gained around 2mpg between the first tank and now.

Still on my first tank with about 200 miles to go. I will start pushing with the second tank. I am averaging 15.3 MPG only!

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford doesn't recommend anything before 10k miles. In addition, some people sent their oil off to be analyzed and found the initial oil is a different specification than what they recommend for normal oil changes. The initial oil filter is also larger than the standard one. I suspect Ford uses the different oil and larger oil filter during the break-in period. Changing to normal oil and filter too soon might actually be counter productive.

Well hell. I had talked myself into doing to it early...2500 miles. After that I was going to be brave enough to do 10K with full synthetic. Changing it myself.

gryGhst17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed mine at 2500 going to full syn. While it might be more beneficial to wait, it's not going to hurt it with more frequent changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well hell. I had talked myself into doing to it early...2500 miles. After that I was going to be brave enough to do 10K with full synthetic. Changing it myself.

Should be 99% broken in by 2500 miles, so I doubt it makes a difference at that point.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15-20 years ago engines did in fact need to be broken in well with dino oil before switching to synthetic. I spoke to an engineer about it once and was told that the microscopic imperfections from the machining process needed to be sheared off cleanly for the engine to break in properly and synthetic prevented that from happening. Think of a lot of little ridges and valleys in the metal which need to be sheared down - synthetic oil can prevent shearing from happening and instead the little peaks get bent over instead of coming off clean.

Later on manufacturers added a finer finishing step that allowed them to ship with synthetic installed. Not all of them did and the reason I was having that conversation with him was he was speculating on why BMW considered burning a quart of oil every 5000 miles to be within spec.

So, I suppose it could be that Ford isn't doing that final step which is why the dino oil and bigger filter. Seems a reasonable hypothesis.

Or that engineer could have been bullshitting me. You never know.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did my first oil change at 1500 miles more so just to get Mobil1 in my engine. I am a big believer as my 1995 Jeep has only had Mobil1 since new and she is still running perfectly today.

Rotated my tires (35" Toyo MT's) at 5000 miles and will change my oil for the second time here shortly.

Question... Does the Raptor have need greased underneath? Haven't crawled under it recently to look or is everything sealed?

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My first oil change will be @5000 miles. Coming from turbo vehicles, I found that 5k mile OCI is max for the driving I do and the Canadian climate.

I plan to use the oem filter and Rotella T6 5w30. Going to install the Fumoto valve too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter