Drive Mode Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackFrostXTR

Reaction score
Hey, question for the forum.

I've been using the Snow/Weather mode lately up north. It's supposed to shift to 4 Auto and provide engine control. I keep getting messages on the main display saying "4X4 Temporarily Locked" and it goes into 4H or 2H. Anyone else seen this? Is this a defect or something to do with drive control. Can't find anything in the manual.

Thanks!

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen it go from 4A to 4H in weather mode when it gets more slippery

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone else posted same recently...believe it to be normal for extreme conditions

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My friend in Alaska noted this happened to him several times. It seems if the system detects you would benefit from being in 4H, it switches for you. Switching to 2H would indicate a problem in my mind. I've heard the clutch packs don't really overheat, and then I've heard they do. If they were overheating, it would make sense for it to switch to either 2H or 4H.

Just need to make sure and switch back to 4A if you start hitting dry spots again