GEN 2 Dealership wouldn't allow me to test drive their Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phatjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new here, and considering a Raptor. I went to Maxwell Ford in Austin, which had at least 4 Raptors on their lot.

The sales guy said "No" to a test drive. He indicated that don't permit test drives for Raptors. :mad:

I understand it's a $70k+ truck...but come on now. Who wants to drop that kind of money, and not be able to at least drive it for a couple of miles.

I have a Dodge Challenger Hellcat (msrp $73k), and numerous dealerships permitted me to test drive their hellcats.

Just venting for now. I'm hoping Covert Ford (also in Austin) will let me take their raptor out....the search is on! :happy3:

Heeblet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Write bad review and just **** em. Don’t do business there.

Get over yourself dealer. BMW let’s you drive whatever you want cost way more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jb raptor

Reaction score
That stinks but it doesn't surprise me. Did you just show up? I am considering a Raptor also. I would like to drive one also. I filled out a info form on the ford website. My closest dealer contacted me with a text asking if I would like to come test drive a raptor. I responded that I was under the weather but would be in touch next week. I definately would like to take a few miles in one before beginning the search. Many comments saying they are quiet almost luxury car quiet in the city. Hard to believe with those BFG all terrains, but we'll see. I personally don't object to average truck quiet, like my 2011 Sierra z 71, but want to asses the raptor on this level. It can't be significantly more noisy than my Sierra.

dd07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, Rapror is not quiet as Lexus or even non-M BMW X5 or X6. You will hear roaring sound all the time.

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a truck that still had every piece of shipping plastic still on it and it actually sealed the deal for me that it only had 4.1 miles on the odometer and they never let anybody drive it...

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most dealers are reluctant to allow just anyone test drive the Raptors and I don’t blame them. Why would they want to put unnecessary miles on something unless they know you’re a serious buyer rather than a tire kicker. I’m sure they get a lot of foot traffic with people looking to hoon around in them.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not defending any dealers actions here but I was a sales manager for a ford dealer many years ago and we were a SVT dealer. We looked at it this way, the SVT vehicles we got were going to selll with or without someone test driving them so we chose no test drive. Guess what?????
Our GT’s sold for asking price.
Our GT500’s sold for asking price.
Our Lightning’s sold for asking price.
All without test drives.

cbpdpm

Reaction score
I'm looking and just took a test drive yesterday at my local dealer. Raptor had 71 miles on it. Unfortunately, we couldn't come to an agreement on price.

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into the same issue when I bought mine. They wouldn't let me test drive it until we agreed on price and I was ready to sign the purchase order. I even showed them my loan pre-qualification letter - didn't matter to them.

They allowed me to sit in it, turn it on, test out the car seat, and that's about it. They offered a test drive in a 2017 XLT. The Raptor and the XLT have a significantly different drive.

I think it's a joke. But, to be honest, I think the vast majority of Raptor owners aren't going to let a test drive make or break it for them.

If prices ever come down to consistently below MSRP, approaching invoice, then Dealers should be pushing test drives. Once they see the shit eating grin on the potential buyer's face, it'd be hard for the buyer to negotiate then!

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whould you let somebody test drive your wife ? drop the mic

a test driven raptor is a used raptor

Attachments

• 7B1E3D69-BCB3-443F-AD7F-60FD2C202AB6.jpg
    7B1E3D69-BCB3-443F-AD7F-60FD2C202AB6.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Forum statistics