Coating undercarriage, trying to decide order of cleaning and protecting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a bit of undercarriage rust I want to nip in the bud, as I plan to keep my truck for as long as I can make it last. To that end, I'll be painting the already rusted parts with POR 15, and following up with the entire undercarriage with Amsoil MPHD afterwards.

The amsoil will for sure get on the door paint. Supposedly it comes off decently well with dish soap and warm water. I need to apply AMMO Reflex, which requires stripping the wax anyway, so I'm tempted to just dish soap wash my truck after coating the undercarriage. However, I'm still a bit nervous about getting the Amsoil on my paint.

The other option, since I'm driving up to my uncle's shop, is to clean my truck prior to making the trip, and then either applying Trakktape or Road Warrior Plus to my entire truck to protect the freshly cleaned and Reflexed paint. That would also preclude me getting rock chips or anything on my trip to and from the shop (a 2 hour drive each way). It is also a few hours more work.

What do you guys think would be the best course of action?

Another question while I'm on it. I'll also be installing backup lights. I plan to eventually get an ADD Honey Badger rear bumper with all 4 lights, and to that end I want to run all the wires I need this time around so I don't have to do any work when I get the bumper. If I run two 14 gauge wires back, that should be sufficient, correct? Thanks!

Edit: Another question - anything I should avoid hitting with POR15 or MPHD? I've only got minor rust on the driveshaft pinions and front axles, not really on anything else. I only will be applying POR15 on the axles and other surfaces with rust, but plan on hitting everything except maybe the exhaust lines with MPHD.

Last edited: