California emissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SOAKINRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tax

I live in CA as well and will likely get mine out of state too... for those of you who did this already, what are the tax implications? I know we must pay CA sales tax when we register the car in CA but I'm wondering about sales tax in the state we buy the car in?

Most dealers wont charge you the tax from that state, if they do bring that paper work to the DMV and you will have to pay the difference.

wwgman

Reaction score
I live in CA as well and will likely get mine out of state too... for those of you who did this already, what are the tax implications? I know we must pay CA sales tax when we register the car in CA but I'm wondering about sales tax in the state we buy the car in?

Dealer where you buy it will charge you the sales tax for the state and county you live in. You don't pay it in both states.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dont knock it till you try it. Its definatley a pay to play state but ive lived up and down the east coast, and a few in between and im never leaving Cali. I dont feel shunned tho, couple V8s sit in my garage. For the record I wouldnt even catch an Uber in a Prius

I did try it... I flew celebs... you name them... Realized quick that a corporate pilot and reserve deputy sheriff couldn't afford to live the way I wanted to live back in 2004. Moved to Arizona and now I can afford a nice home in Scottsdale with a pool, 3 car garage and a Raptor with accessories.

Oh... And I have tons of Guns that wouldn't even be allowed in cali with a blessing from the governor.

Cali sucks...

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer where you buy it will charge you the sales tax for the state and county you live in. You don't pay it in both states.

Depends on if the dealer has a tax ID # for your home state. I've bought plenty of vehicles in WA, and many don't charge any tax because they don't have an Idaho tax ID #. Same for California--bought a new Audi not long ago, and they did not collect any sales tax, as they didn't have an Idaho tax ID #. If you're buying several states away from your home state, especially, be very wary of the dealer trying to collect any sales tax, as chances are, they do not have an ID # and permission to collect it.

Blake_Allan

Reaction score

You only pay CA sales tax. I purchased mine from IN and had it shipped to me, super simple. Just went to the DMV this morning to pay the sales tax and register it. I did have to get a smog test (which they didn't even really look at), but other than that they did not check for the CA emissions sticker.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
State to state must be different. I bought my GEN 1 in at Morgan Hill Ford in CA and paid that county's sales tax. They gave me a temp plate and when I registered in NV I had to do the "change of state" paperwork and inspection before registering as normal in Reno NV.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
State to state must be different. I bought my GEN 1 in at Morgan Hill Ford in CA and paid that county's sales tax. They gave me a temp plate and when I registered in NV I had to do the "change of state" paperwork and inspection before registering as normal in Reno NV.

Sonnen Audi in San Rafael, CA tried to collect California sales tax from me on a new S5 purchase. I had to inform them that wasn't going to happen, as they didn't have an Idaho tax ID #, as well as CA having higher sales tax on autos. They gave up their jigg when they noticed they were dealing with someone that could see. Very disturbing though that they made an effort to collect California taxes on a $65,000 vehicle; I was not amused.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sonnen Audi in San Rafael, CA tried to collect California sales tax from me on a new S5 purchase. I had to inform them that wasn't going to happen, as they didn't have an Idaho tax ID #, as well as CA having higher sales tax on autos. They gave up their jigg when they noticed they were dealing with someone that could see. Very disturbing though that they made an effort to collect California taxes on a $65,000 vehicle; I was not amused.

They did something weird I think. I didn't pay NV sales tax on top of it at least. The DMV registered per normal. I was happy to pay an extra percent seeing as Morgan Hill saved me a ton of money. This was 2014 right around when they stopped taking orders on G1's. Our local dealers were gouging like they are now, maybe worse. 70k for an almost loaded 801A SCAB. Morgan Hill was 47k.