GEN 2 Building an overland Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

$nake Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the inherent design of the Raptor is a desert racer, however, I also know there are a few of you on the forum that are going the overland build route. Are there any specific companies that anyone is familiar with that specializes in overland builds for our trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know of any companies that do custom builds, but the Raptor will make for an EXCELLENT overlanding vehicle. Or any F150 SCREW for that matter. I went camping this past weekend, and there is so much freaking room its unbelievable.

Slept in the back the first night with a 100 lb dog, and tented the next day. The twin panel is very nice. The LED lights on the oh shit bars in the back are a very nice touch. Having a water tight locking bed (I have a hard tonneau) makes it such a great utility vehicle.

s0FFPeRYrtrT7cIAntKsbRFzQg39d4hwsC0vIYZriljyxhqEvw.jpg

LEReJNP6DeIf0zSICZcfbiz9DGcchjb3A822RzTXIiDPz8SkXU.jpg

W8Bb7k2naiNkmDfv0Hi_7mO8uCocyLaM9XOTugSzDNQ7CxY-sg.jpg

YUIJk5s_skqHOp0JpPSOB7zLhj5twTv7LxCnV7KmD-E4PNbWEE.jpg

Last edited:

byz250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grabbed a bed tent for now (until I can justify the extra K's for a Moby1 or equivalent) works pretty good for a 6'2" guy. I don't think I could sleep in the cab.

Where did you get that tent at? How hard is it to put up? looks cool

OP
OP
$

$nake Eater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know of any companies that do custom builds, but the Raptor will make for an EXCELLENT overlanding vehicle. Or any F150 SCREW for that matter. I went camping this past weekend, and there is so much freaking room its unbelievable.

Slept in the back the first night with a 100 lb dog, and tented the next day. The twin panel is very nice. The LED lights on the oh shift bars in the back are a very nice touch. Having a water tight locking bed (I have a hard tonneau) makes it such a great utility vehicle.

s0FFPeRYrtrT7cIAntKsbRFzQg39d4hwsC0vIYZriljyxhqEvw.jpg

LEReJNP6DeIf0zSICZcfbiz9DGcchjb3A822RzTXIiDPz8SkXU.jpg

W8Bb7k2naiNkmDfv0Hi_7mO8uCocyLaM9XOTugSzDNQ7CxY-sg.jpg

YUIJk5s_skqHOp0JpPSOB7zLhj5twTv7LxCnV7KmD-E4PNbWEE.jpg

Didn't even realize those lights were back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guernsej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grabbed a bed tent for now (until I can justify the extra K's for a Moby1 or equivalent) works pretty good for a 6'2" guy. I don't think I could sleep in the cab.

Nice! I've got a James Baroud Horizon RTT sitting in my garage waiting to go on the bed when my Raptor shows up next week. I plan on doing more of an overland style than straight desert running... I'll post some pics eventually depending how well things work out.

Itsalljake

Reaction score
Where did you get that tent at? How hard is it to put up? looks cool[/QUOTE]

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/truck-tents/

There are a lot of reviews with mixed results for ease to assemble. I didn't find it too challenging, except for the cracked rib. It definitely has a sweet spot and I'll be trying different ways of using the tie down straps and probably reman my own rails.

vr4henry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool bed tent!

I've got a Snugtop XV camper shell coming this week and an offroad teardrop coming in August. Most of the "overland" stuff goes into the trailer instead of truck for us. Will probably add the SVC collars/bumpstops/deavers to balance it out later.

In my case, we've got dogs and a little guy so it seems much easier to have a roving basecamp and disconnect when I want to go play in the dirt.

Looking forward to seeing other folks' setups!