Bucking and snorting on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, maybe that's an exaggeration. BUT...I have noticed while in regular dive mode, not sport, when I hit the gas mid to upper throttle, it surges. It's just not a nice, linear acceleration. It just feels like it's slightly missing, like either ignition or fuel related. Are others experiencing this?

I'm running mid-grade fuel by the way.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, maybe that's an exaggeration. BUT...I have noticed while in regular dive mode, not sport, when I hit the gas mid to upper throttle, it surges. It's just not a nice, linear acceleration. It just feels like it's slightly missing, like either ignition or fuel related. Are others experiencing this?

I'm running mid-grade fuel by the way.
I'm 99% positive it's fuel man. 92 octane +.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do believe Ford states 91 or higher octane is what they recommend. I would start there personally, at least for a few tank fulls and see what happens. Doesn't really make sense to buy the most powerful and most expensive full size truck on the market to just cheap out on the fuel to save $1-2

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to the ecoboost life. You are experiencing misfire due to condensate buildup in the intercooler. You need the 1/16" weep hole drilled and then swap spark plugs to motorcraft sp534 gapped .030. These will need changed every 30k miles.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry guys.

I know that you can "feel the difference" in performance with the higher octanes. But it doesn't work that way. It's in your head.

Ford says 87 octane ok.

Don't be sorry, just read the manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...picHRef=G1738559&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=True

What Ford ACTUALLY says is:

"Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 or regular unleaded gasoline blended with a maximum of 85% ethanol (E85)."

Ford continues to say:

"For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended."

So there is clearly a difference that's beyond mere imagination.

It'll operate on 87 (OP's truck is indeed operational) but it won't get the best performance (OP's truck isn't performing optimally)

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
This is not gas octane related at all. This is an inherent design issue from Ford. Follow my directions and problems solved.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems too early to be experiencing the CAC cooler/drilling a hole remedy as I've read it's more of a problem on the earlier models, higher mileage Ecoboost engines. I'm hoping that Ford has figured this out with the new engine in the Raptor. OP, what's your mileage and do you live in a high humidity area?

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
It seems too early to be experiencing the CAC cooler/drilling a hole remedy as I've read it's more of a problem on the earlier models, higher mileage Ecoboost engines. I'm hoping that Ford has figured this out with the new engine in the Raptor. OP, what's your mileage and do you live in a high humidity area?

Nope - there is no timeframe that this is associated with. Ford never solved this issue. The ecoboost community did.... weep hole is what ALL ecoboost owners do to protect themselves