GEN 2 800A+ Offroad Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally have a chance to update the build thread. I got my transceiver mounted, phone mount installed, mud flaps mounted, and running boards deleted.

I spent more time on this than I should have on the transceiver mount but it was my first aluminum TIG project. Unfortunately, I have always sucked at painting and the rubberized coating I used on top of etch primer didn't stick worth a crap and some of it pealed off during the fitup into the dash. At some point I may pull the dash back apart to deal with it but right now I want to hurry up and get this truck trip ready. I started with a template, made all the aluminum parts and got it installed in the dash. Sound out of the stock transceiver speaker is good without the need for an external speaker but I did have to use a 90 on the antenna connecter. Thanks to J Bodolay for getting some ideas posted up. Except for the mic mount, that I decided to drill the dash on, everything can be returned to stock. The setup is very similar to the way emergency service vehicles have their center console, such as the ones from Havis, except I only have one mount versus three or more mount plates for accessories.

35e8cab1125b6653ae34277252cbd430.jpg
b315d851f49d3760295e60cd16f693ea.jpg
44160da5d2dbe7c1754633242457b77d.jpg
5ab0e77586ff85adc7c7f811ad544f66.jpg
49d403b71d5bd3cbc195ae9ace8efcf8.jpg
4aab17db02d1be75c7671af3291dd751.jpg

Here is a simple but super solid phone mount off of the grab handle mount. Swapped the bolt for a M6 stud and mounted a RAM ball on it. Routed the charging cable through the dash with the power cables for the transceiver, all in wiring loom to protect them from vibration chafing. Also posted on a phone mount thread but including it here for complete build status.

64a63d421072c961c6abec4519479fbe.jpg

I mounted some PDP mudflaps and I am pretty impressed with them, thanks to all the guys on the mudflap thread. With these I decided to ditch the running boards and I like it a lot better without them. They are actually quite beefy but mount to the cab, not the frame. In addition to a massive improvement in clearance, I noticed that my cab wind noise is now reduced on sweeping corners. Prior to this I noticed some cab flex versus the doors on decent sweeping corners and even felt the motion with my finger between the cab and doors through the corners. This motion resulted in increased wind noise because the gasket seal opens up slightly. With the running boards gone, this motion went down enough that I no longer hear the wind through the seal. If the truck wasn't so quiet already I doubt I would have noticed this. This on asphalt, not dirt.

62de9be69b7862d0752afd884264f3b5.jpg
83ee287cc5a6f020fcba450034cca370.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

With all this installed, I did a test load out with all my offroad/camping gear. The ride with all my gear is great and I can't wait for my SVC adjusters to come for the front. I lost about 1" of jounce travel with all the gear, not too bad. Handling improved in the rear with a more planted feel at higher speeds. On lighter chop the rear tended to dance around a bit when the bed is empty.

The cooler, stove, first aid kit, bubba rope, tool bag, tire repair bag, air compressor, ARB X-jack, and dry food bin all fit nicely in the SCAB. The seat serves as a nice shelf and shock absorber for all the food. I learned the hard way, a long time ago, that food items in the bed do not survive well. I put a foam wedge under the cooler and dry food bin to level them off better in addition to strapping them down to the seat frame. The square holes in the seat bases were in a near perfect location to secure everything.
e83b8c6a290948a369321d296c83c3ee.jpg
7080bbcef31ffba675f7e9dc732b4a9d.jpg

In the bed I have the propane, more recovery gear, winch, folding table, camp kitchen (1650 Pelican), camp box, fuel/water. I used two waters for this load out just to add a little more weight and it was quicker than going to get some gas.

5791d4753628dd0796634a699de73a48.jpg
9347b0bccb1c9e1493d0611fb5fb3db6.jpg

This bed is huge compared to my Taco, I love it. When the bikes come along their will be plenty of room to move stuff around for the road sections and put a bike or two in the bed and stack the gear around them.

Once again, Without even trying, I found another spot I would have torn up the exhaust...
876027f2083cf520c262634961363d5f.jpg
a2504e1c0d60a1a4b39f86abd714f9b8.jpg

On this little test outing, with the new mud flaps, I aimed for any mud/water I could find and the result is a vast improvement to the running boards. To be fair, the roads have dried out a lot since my initial test runs that made a giant mess. The mud doesn't hit the truck until the front of the rear fenders. It also doesn't add a 100+ lbs of the stuff to the running boards, sides of the truck and door handles. If the mud gets through the running boards, so are the small rocks and sand that will dent and blast the soft aluminum. The mud flaps clearly protect the cab much better from this stuff.

cfd2db722ec49606ed6747a8d4b5f6a4.jpg

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always, from day 1, thought it was a terrible, stupid mistake to go with rear exit exhaust on Jen2.

Rear exhaust just screams mall crawler.

Last edited:

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job!

Smart idea on cutting off the exhaust tips. Simple to do, and if it does help with the departure angles, it's a no brainer. Althought, you can just wait to tear them up first before cutting them off anyway.

How do you intend to mount the winch to the front? I believe with the gen 2, we need to do an intercooler relocate before we can winch from the front.

Last edited:

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow I thought I was beating on my raptor when I got a little desert pin striping the first weekend... You are seriously hardcore. That's exactly where I want to put my radio. I'm going to steal your pic for later.

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you intend to mount the winch to the front? I believe with the gen 2, we need to do an intercooler relocate before we can winch from the front.

I have a novel solution that should keep the intercooler in the stock location. I will be working on it this Sat. Tomorrow is party at the dealer service center again to try and get all the QA issues resolved.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a novel solution that should keep the intercooler in the stock location. I will be working on it this Sat. Tomorrow is party at the dealer service center again to try and get all the QA issues resolved.

Subscribed! I will be watching your work with keen eyes! I really want to mount a winch up front, and don't want to spend thousands on an aftermarket bumper or intercooler relocate.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Nice build so far! As soon as I saw you flip the exhaust I started wondering if you were going to get to learn the lesson us Gen1 guys got to with the side exit exhaust right there. I smashed my tips the first day out. Best bet is just to dump em as they come over the axle and never worry about it again.

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice build so far! As soon as I saw you flip the exhaust I started wondering if you were going to get to learn the lesson us Gen1 guys got to with the side exit exhaust right there. I smashed my tips the first day out. Best bet is just to dump em as they come over the axle and never worry about it again.

I have done before and after the axle exhaust dumps on previous builds, but always moved the spare into the bed. They are the best for clearance but also increase the dust generated behind the truck making us spread out more on a trip. With the spare so close I was concerned that the heat from this free flowing exhaust would do damage to the tire so I kept the tips for now. If I do smash them a new mod will occur. So far I have not touched them and I am not ready to move the tire yet. I like keeping it down there for a lower CG. If I get really stuck and have a flat at the same time, this location would be a problem. Time will tell. If you cut yours off I would like to know it goes.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I've had mine cut off on my G1 since I got it in 2011. Spare tire had no issues with heat at all. I've really liked it overall. The dust is one factor I hadn't considered though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bark beetle

Bark beetle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, I think this exhaust is much more free flowing which means it will be hotter. I should measure it and see how hot it gets.