2017 Raptor and Power tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My tailgate lock doesn't work at all. Are some of you having an issue when you're close to the truck with the fob that the gate won't lock?

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: The 2017s still won't close themselves...but it's a fun trick when your adult children are standing around it and you think they're too close... =P

Also, the proximity of your key fob to the truck disables any sort of locking mechanism, so be aware if you're within a certain distance, someone can still slide your tailgate smooth off. I always hated that about the BMW, too, that anyone could pop the trunk if I was nearby just by pushing the emblem in the back. ::smh::

Psh what a let down right???? lol

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tailgate lock doesn't work at all. Are some of you having an issue when you're close to the truck with the fob that the gate won't lock?
The tailgate will automatically unlock when you are close to it with the fob the same way that the doors will automatically unlock when you are close to the handle. You have to have the fob at least 5 feet away if you want to test that theory. Its the same as on my 2015 platinum.
Tone

Last edited:

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm familiar with how the keyless and lock systems works. Weird thing was I was up by the drivers door last night and my wife was back at the tailgate. I double clicked the remote to lock the gate and she opened it right up. I tried again this morning and it did the same thing. Had a tech take it in the shop to check it out and now its working fine. Not sure what was going on.

On a side note with this I would like to the option in the setting menu so I can enable or disable the tailgate locking. Anyone that would like this feature please comment on your Ford survey regarding that. If it's just some programming changes we may see it come out as an update.

TiNyLoBo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the distance is wider than most.

Danny and I kept playing with it this week...I keep the key around my neck, so I have to be in the house for it to fully lock. We aren't talking in the master suite off the garage...we're talking go stand in the kitchen and get a beer on the other side of the house. LOL