GEN 2 1,000 Mile Check-In - 2018 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My new Raptor is just rolling over the 1k miles mark and I thought I would share a few thoughts, and I may ramble a bit.

I traded in a 2011 F150 KR 4x4 which I had slightly lifted, cool bumpers, sway bar, etc. It was an eco-boost as well and as much as I didn't love the exhaust note I really did grow to appreciate the power and torque. It has Bilstein 5100's on it and the ride was very trucky..composed but stiff. Expansion joints and railroad tracks (etc) could easily disrupt the chassis but overall I liked the truck-ness of it.

When I first drive the Raptor I wasn't sure I liked it...it seemed so...squishy, especially compared to my KR which was definitely on the stiff side. I immediately appreciated the suspension over all types of road conditions as it soaks bumps and RR tracks up like a sponge. The other thing I was quite surprised by is how damn quiet the truck is! On the highway it's super quiet and sooo smooth. I imagine if Cadillac built a truck suspension it would feel like this on the highway. Truly amazing.

I wasn't so in love with how much side to side sway the Raptor had so after some googling I found a great build article (here on the forum) that confirmed a Hellwig sway bar that would fit the Raptor. I was very happy with the results on my KR so I ordered it. The install was very straight forward and I started it at the softest setting (of 3). Wow...really a big difference. The truck is now leans noticeably less in turns without losing any of that bump soaking goodness. I will set it to the middle setting sometime soon and see how that feels. Obviously if you are using your truck off road frequently this mod may not be for you..but if you're commuting in it I highly recommend it.

The technology in the truck is a lot of fun and I finally learned all the damn buttons on the Sync. The radio is good enough for me and a bed cover and extender has created a ton of usable space for anything from luggage to groceries to garden soil. I put a Du-Hu storage box under the back seat and that thing gives a ton of space to stow jumper cables, tie downs, tools, guns, whatever. Highly recommended - and it bolts into 2 factory holes so it doesn't slide around.

The exhaust note isn't great but Ford actually did a pretty darn good job tuning it. No drone and it has a little grunt to it. I'm going to Forescan the fake exhaust noise and see how that sounds sometime this weekend. A few other Forescan changes will also improve upon the overall experience I think.

Other than the sound the motor is really sweet. Plenty of power, quick boost, and the 10 speed seems to suit it well. I will likely tune it at some point to get even more "go" although it really doesn't need it.

Overall I think the Raptor is my favorite all time vehicle because it does everything well. It can haul the family in comfort, race through the dessert, go mudding, fetch the groceries, get me to work and back, and is an absolute blast to drive. I have always had a sports car and a truck but this has me re-thinking that because I really do get that sport car rush from the truck.

For anyone on the fence who has the means I highly recommend one of these things.

/BDunn Out.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Haha yeah I think I'm in love with my truck too. It is everything I could ask for in a factory truck.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good summary, that's why I wanted one of these ever since they first started testing them. Raptors really do everything well - maybe not the best in any category, but definitely in the top 10%.

I wouldn't recommend disabling fake engine noise - the tone doesn't change, the engine noise just gets quieter, and you get a bit more white noise instead. Didn't make it a day before I re-enabled it.

luvawatch

Reaction score
Totally agree that this is a great truck. I bought my Raptor about 4 weeks ago and have already put on 1900 miles. This is my first truck, ever! I've been mostly a sports car and SUV guy. I have a 911 GTS as my fun car and recently traded in a full size Range Rover for my Raptor. I've barely driven the Porsche since I'm having way too much fun with the Raptor. It does everything! My 3 kids love the space in the back. Took a 4.5 hour one way trip to go snowboarding and the truck was smooth, comfortable and it carried all our gear (there's 5 of us!). I couldn't be happier with my purchase and I've officially become a truck guy. Since mine is black and sits outside, I opti coated it and she's always looking good!

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree that this is a great truck. I bought my Raptor about 4 weeks ago and have already put on 1900 miles. This is my first truck, ever! I've been mostly a sports car and SUV guy. I have a 911 GTS as my fun car and recently traded in a full size Range Rover for my Raptor. I've barely driven the Porsche since I'm having way too much fun with the Raptor. It does everything! My 3 kids love the space in the back. Took a 4.5 hour one way trip to go snowboarding and the truck was smooth, comfortable and it carried all our gear (there's 5 of us!). I couldn't be happier with my purchase and I've officially become a truck guy. Since mine is black and sits outside, I opti coated it and she's always looking good!

I'm getting ready to dump my supercharged Range Rover for the Raptor.
So, I'm glad to read this. My Raptor was ordered in the last round of production last month.

cain072567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me too

i have owned 19 trucks in my life and finally at 50 i can have one! Worth the wait! I appreciate it

salts001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's exactly one month since I picked up my truck and absolutely love it! 1,300 miles and feeling great.
As mentioned above, it has everything everything I can ask for from the factory...well almost everything. Massaging chairs / "Active Motion" would be nice but who doesn't want more :)

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
175 miles... in the shop....the thing barely made it to the dealer. Sounded and felt like it was running one one cylinder. awesome......

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
175 miles... in the shop....the thing barely made it to the dealer. Sounded and felt like it was running one one cylinder. awesome......

Sorry to hear that man...I would be seriously bummed. Hopefully it's not something too awful.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Are there real problems with these trucks? or do forums just attract more people who have things going wrong so they can figure out what’s going on with their vehicles
I’ve been seeing some horror stories lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter