Stock BFG Wear/Rotation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I rotated mine every 5k miles and measured the tread depth at 3 points across the width at every rotation and wrote it down. I've been very impressed with the even wear and my driving is 99.999% street. 15-20% is towing. They were wearing so evenly I was starting to contemplate even rotating them as often because it seemed like they were wearing even on their own.

Around 25k miles I scored another set of BFGs with the same tread depth as mine for $100 for the set of 4 (silly cheap deal) so I put those on a set of Methods and sold mine as a full set with rims. Afterwards even with balancing and checking the balance again, I still had some vibrations and looking closely at the tread I could tell the guy never rotated the tires you could feel rubbing your hand one direction vs the other direction across the tire that it felt different indicating he never rotated properly. My tires I sold were worn perfectly even in both directions from proper rotation. Even though both sets had about the same mileage and the same tread depths, my OEM ones rotated every 5k rode so much nicer than the second OEM set that weren't rotated.

I'm almost 3 rotations into these and they're getting better all the time as they start to wear in properly and get rotated around, but it made me a firm believer in every 5k on tires this size.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
36,000 miles. Rotate every oil change (4500 - 5500 miles). No issues. Probably 60% tread left. Mostly highway miles. REAL HAPPY WITH THE TIRES!!!!

OP
OP
HAP

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my OEM BFG tires with 6K miles replaced under warranty as promised by the dealer in my original post. I got a copy of the alignment before and after spec's, all in the green and the service manager said he was very pleased with the numbers. I made sure the speed rating had the "S" and not "R" on all 4 tires.
To avoid any future anomalies I will be keeping a close eye on the wear and plan to rotate them more frequent than the OEM recommended 5K. Initial thoughts are 3K, but that depends on what I see during the close monitoring period.
Very happy with my first warranty experience with my Raptor so far. Fingers crossed that this is the only problem I experience. My 2006 Navigator Ultra Premium has never seen a dealer since I bought it new in 2005...

R,
HAP