snow chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the roads are intermittently bad put it in 4wd. Don't worry about driving on dry pavement in 4wd in the winter. If it is a good day you won't need to. It is easier to stay in control in 4wd in bad conditions. I drive on snow pack 3-4 months every year. Don't lock the diff unless pushing through some difficult stuff.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Light powedery snow is the easiest to drive in
2. Don't drive with the diff locked unless you are going through deep snow and having problems pushing through, with them locked front ends tend to push through corners/slide on ice. Read up on it if you want more information
3. It is hard on the 4wd system to run on dry pavement

Been a skier/snowmobiler all my life driving throughout WA/OR/ID/BC and have pretty much seen it all (snow types/road conditions) over the years.

Last edited:

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only had the diff locked when doing dumb things(like bombing through 2' of snow on a frozen lake). Or when trying to slide the rear around as much as possible.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chains will fit fine on the back, it's the front that is a problem. It's too tight on the inside of the tire for chains.

Look into getting cables, they don't last as long, are easier to take on/off and give a lot more clearance. Just make sure you keep them tight, especially if you put them on the front.

I went to a different tire and wheel so I could fit chains on all four. Haven't had to chain up yet, but I am sure before this winter is over I will be.

I can tell you in Idaho, Oregon, Nevada and Washington chains/studs are required, 4WD doesn't matter if they want to push it, but I've been waived thru many check points just cause I was 4WD.

Fresh snow is typically easy, it's the compact snow and ice/freezing rain you'll want chains/cables.

Generally speaking the back two are all you need chains/cables on, especially for on road purposes.

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chains will fit fine on the back, it's the front that is a problem. It's too tight on the inside of the tire for chains.

Look into getting cables, they don't last as long, are easier to take on/off and give a lot more clearance. Just make sure you keep them tight, especially if you put them on the front.

I went to a different tire and wheel so I could fit chains on all four. Haven't had to chain up yet, but I am sure before this winter is over I will be.

I can tell you in Idaho, Oregon, Nevada and Washington chains/studs are required, 4WD doesn't matter if they want to push it, but I've been waived thru many check points just cause I was 4WD.

Fresh snow is typically easy, it's the compact snow and ice/freezing rain you'll want chains/cables.

Generally speaking the back two are all you need chains/cables on, especially for on road purposes.

Where are you driving that you feel the need to chain up all 4???

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idaho/Nevada/Oregon. I hunt chukar Sept-Jan 31.

We get snow and ice, but the worst is side hills in which the 'road' is going downhill and it is also sloped downhill, with an 'edge' that is a dropoff/rollover waiting to happen. You get an ice base and snow on top and most won't go into such areas.

Even on 'maintained' roads with freezing rain can't beat chains. I've been on highways you could ice skate on, the only people they were allowing thru was those with studs/chains/cables. 4WD's they weren't allowing thru. It was so slick you couldn't hardly stop without the additional traction of the studs/chains/cables. At that time I only had a 2wd pickup, but luckily I had chains. That particular instance they were waiting for the stretch to be sanded before they were allowing any cars thru without additional winter traction means due to too many accidents...

Was in another scene in which a tight corner at the base of a hill, had to slow way down and couldn't make it with 4WD and chains on the back, had to chain up the front. Maybe could have made it out if I chained just the front, but scene was such the front was a real PITA to chain up, so tried the back first and it just didn't cut it.

Brands I recommend, not sure what your after but I've had good luck with my last two orders from Tire Chains by TireChains.com

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before our trip to Banff, not having ever traversed that part of the country I bought one set of chains... just in case. I knew we would be traveling through areas where that was no help for hundreds of miles. Possibly no phone service.

Needless to say, I didn't need them. Nor did I need my extreme cold weather survival pack, spare fuel, or my gun. Kinda like a parachute. You likely won't need it. But if you do and you don't have it, you won't ever need it again. Given the storm that blew through just over a week after we traveled, I think it was the right call. They will stay in the back of the truck through the winter along with the two jerry cans.

Mine came from tirechain.com with tensioners and a nice carry bag for less than $140 shipped and were at my door in a few days. As heavy as the box was, it should have been $50 just for the shipping. :) http://www.tirechain.com/HEAVYTRUCK.htm

Last edited: