snow chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DezertRacer

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
roads are usually closed before 4wd vehicles are required to have chains (unless you are towing) they figure that if a 4wd vehicle needs chains then a 2wd vehicle with chains wont make it, and therefore a road closure. i have never seen an occasion where a 4wd vehicle not towing was required to have chains on. for the last 5 years i have been to tahoe every winter and we always seem to manage to go when its snowing out. traffic sucks, due to all the 2wd vehicles, but chains were never required for 4wd vehicles. now if you are talking about road that dont get plowed, then maybe it will be a good idea to have some. but for a familiar road and a highly traveled road, you shouldnt need them. im not saying dont go out and buy some, its good to have, but depending on the road it could be an optional tool in the bag. just remember to drive in the tracks the vehicle makes in front of you...... unless you are like me and like to do weird random shit and do donuts in the snow while others are putting chains on.......

Agreed . I used to live in Truckee CA , when it would snow and almost white out me and my dad would head out to pull the stuck 2wd's and other people that can't drive out of the ditches. 99% of the time its 2wd with chains and 4wd and just have a set of chains with you . they usually never check just ask . Im that random guy also, got my lic in the snow and its second nature to me . i drive in 2wd as much as i can unless the MRS is with me then i have to try and be good !

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
roads are usually closed before 4wd vehicles are required to have chains (unless you are towing) they figure that if a 4wd vehicle needs chains then a 2wd vehicle with chains wont make it, and therefore a road closure. i have never seen an occasion where a 4wd vehicle not towing was required to have chains on. for the last 5 years i have been to tahoe every winter and we always seem to manage to go when its snowing out. traffic sucks, due to all the 2wd vehicles, but chains were never required for 4wd vehicles. now if you are talking about road that dont get plowed, then maybe it will be a good idea to have some. but for a familiar road and a highly traveled road, you shouldnt need them. im not saying dont go out and buy some, its good to have, but depending on the road it could be an optional tool in the bag. just remember to drive in the tracks the vehicle makes in front of you...... unless you are like me and like to do weird random shit and do donuts in the snow while others are putting chains on.......

this guy:specialed:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As someone who lived in CO. The requirement for when they say Chains Only is: When this level is in effect, use of conventional, steel-link chains is required. Four-wheel drive vehicles are permitted to operate without tire chains.

SVTBuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed . I used to live in Truckee CA , when it would snow and almost white out me and my dad would head out to pull the stuck 2wd's and other people that can't drive out of the ditches. 99% of the time its 2wd with chains and 4wd and just have a set of chains with you . they usually never check just ask . Im that random guy also, got my lic in the snow and its second nature to me . i drive in 2wd as much as i can unless the MRS is with me then i have to try and be good !

Me too!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415783510.769391.jpg

richwoodrocket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure you're raptor will be fine in and snow you can find. ;)
I've seen them going through 1+ feet of snow with no hesitation.