Need help with acceleration issues and exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02_Lightning

Banned
Reaction score
So I picked up a 2012 Raptor used with 25k miles. I came from a 6.2 Harley F150 and noticed a huge difference in power between the two. The Raptor feels like a slug compared to the Harley and both were bone stock. My questions for performance adders are as follows:
1) I know I need a tune but not sure if that will help throttle response. The truck just feels like a lead weight when trying to accelerate from a stop. The Harley 6.2 I had was not like that at all.
2) Exhaust - I am disappointed with the factory sound. I searched for a resonator delete pipe and tried the standard F150 screw delete pipe... That didn't work at all. Where to get a muffler delete pipe? I do think I want an aftermarket exhaust, and want the Stainless Works. However, they only make systems that incorporate the factory resonator. I don't want that silly resonator! How do I get around all this without cutting/welding?
3) I have seen/heard that the CAI was not worth anything... So, I put a green filter in the factory box.
4) throttle body - are there nice driving imptovents from swapping to something like the BBK TB? I know it's not a horsepower thing, but rather changes the acceleration behavior. Coming from a 2010 CTS-V, the TB change was one if the best changes I made as the car felt so much lighter and nimble. Just curious if that happens with the 6.2 as well.

Those are the only performance mods I want to make, but need help. I can't find much in the way of anyone modifying engine stuff on raptors... Mine needs help with sound, drivability, and throttle response/acceleration.

Please help!

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. In order

The tune will greatly help with throttle response. It is a total slug when it is stock. I did 5 star(great). I highly recommend it. I have seen a lot of guys lately recommending the sct tune. More than 5 star lately. Both have great reputation's on here. I think(could be wrong) the sct is only 1 tune. Mike at 5-star gave me 5(performance, fuel economy, towing, different octanes). I liked switching and playing around with them. The towing was great. Higher octane obviously was better. Did not get help on the economy in mpg.

Exhaust- factory has pretty good flow(muffler), just no sound we all like. If you want to really help the truck perform better do the full exhaust and tune. Major difference(maybe 45-60 hp), but much better throttle response, shifts, and just overall driveability. It let's the big motor roar. Warning: SW is loud! From what I have seen and heard the loudest of all aftermarket exhausts. But if you are trying to delete resonators, you probably do not care.

CAI-tough call here. Seen some posts where there was a little gain with it. It sounds a little better. Most people do it with the tune, and many of the vendors package it with their tune, so you are not really paying much more for it. Every little bit helps. Might cost an extra $200-300. I actually have one I just took off mine about a month ago(I went supercharged) I will sell you cheap. Got it from Mike at 5-star. It is a AFE stage 2.

Throttle body- I cannot comment much on the NA throttle body change. I do know my Whipple SC came with a much bigger one, so following that logic it probably does help somewhere or it would not be on there. There are some threads in here that talk about it.

Bottom line- if you get full exhaust, CAI, and a good tune, the truck will be a different driver. I can speak on that from experience. It is much better driving experience, especially from such a big motor. Factory settings are quite disappointing for sure. I did all of it, and then wanted more. Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Correction on tune type - SVC. sorry cant spell

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No to mention, the 35's, beefier suspension components, all provide a little more rolling resistance.

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gearing will make a difference too, raptor 4:10 vs Harley 3:73. The 35s won't make that much of a difference, but the rest of the extra weight does.

rojo212

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ricky B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corsa makes a resonator delete pipe. I got my SW cat back from stage 3 motorsports. When I decided to delete resonator, they were out of stock and I found the delete pipe at Got Exhaust.

OP
OP

02_Lightning

Banned
Reaction score
I went for the SVC tune and have had it in since Friday. It is AWESOME!
The SVC woke the truck up and fixed the issues I had. The truck drives as it should now.
The truck is going to the exhaust shop on Friday to get the resonator deleted and a Magnaflow magnapack (w/ a 2 to 1 adapter) welded in place of stock muffler. I can't justify the price of an aftermarket system, so I went this route.
Off subject, but can anyone explain why cat-backs are so expensive these days? It is definitely NOT worth it! I remember just a few years back when an 'expensive' system was $500!!

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went for the SVC tune and have had it in since Friday. It is AWESOME!
The SVC woke the truck up and fixed the issues I had. The truck drives as it should now.
The truck is going to the exhaust shop on Friday to get the resonator deleted and a Magnaflow magnapack (w/ a 2 to 1 adapter) welded in place of stock muffler. I can't justify the price of an aftermarket system, so I went this route.
Off subject, but can anyone explain why cat-backs are so expensive these days? It is definitely NOT worth it! I remember just a few years back when an 'expensive' system was $500!!
A lot of the systems are full 304SS so that drives the cost up. I went with the Magnaflow cat back which is about half the cost of Corsa or Borla. The muffler is 304SS but the rest of it is 409SS which is what the OEMs use. It gets a thin layer of corrosion on it but will not rust through.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the Ford Racing Sport cat back. Awesome sound.

Maybe something is wrong with me but my Raptor does not feel like a slug at all, you stand on it and she moves right out. Very strong acceleration. And it's bone stock other than the cat back. Maybe the 2014s are a different tune than previous.

How much HP does svc say that the tune alone provides?

Ricky B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the Ford Racing Sport cat back. Awesome sound.

Maybe something is wrong with me but my Raptor does not feel like a slug at all, you stand on it and she moves right out. Very strong acceleration. And it's bone stock other than the cat back. Maybe the 2014s are a different tune than previous.

How much HP does svc say that the tune alone provides?

I totally agree, my 14 has more "get up and go" than my 11 had. Both had after market cat backs.