5.4 Dual in/ Dual out muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a true dual set up. Shop that I'm working with on doing this keeps telling me that its fine to do dual in and dual out with X pipe inside of muffler. One single muffler.
Is this really considered to be a true dual system as well and will I get the full potential of HP that I can get out of my truck?
I'm was looking to do either maganaflow or Gibson but I really like the Borla sound as well.
Thoughts???
Also I have right now the SW headers hooked up to a Y connected to my stock exhaust.
Guy I am working with is Gary Cook. I guess he designed the SVT lightenings exhaust system.

Banned
Reaction score
As per the "is it a true dual" you'll get mixed answers.

Personally, in my opinion if there is an x/h pipe, it's not a true dual. In my eyes true dual means they stay truly dual, as in separate the whole time and never join up an to back apart. That said, it not idea at all. X/h pipe is a good idea.

As far as sound, from the countless videos I've watched, can't go wrong with either magnaflow or borla. They both sound awesome.

OP
OP
IRONMAN

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Is it better to go with a X pipe and two mufflers or what he suggests single muffler 2 in 2 out? Any difference really?

Banned
Reaction score
Is it better to go with a X pipe and two mufflers or what he suggests single muffler 2 in 2 out? Any difference really?

honestly i have no idea. as long as it has a point where it crosses over i think it will be good.

basically the reason for having an x/h pipe is, well easiest way to explain it is like this.

exhaust has pulses, and the two sides sort of alternate. so when one pulse of exhaust passes through the x/h pipe it help pull the other side along. making it exit faster and better. if that makes sense.

thats how i understand all the reading ive done on the subject anyways.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ironman

Its always been my understanding that the Benefit of an X pipe type design is gas scavenging. Much like equal length header tubes, as an exhaust pulse travels threw the crossover it creates a low pressure that serves to pull the next exhaust pulse down the other tube. I suppose this depends on the design of the muffler internals, but I would think the turbulence in the muffler do to the baffling would at best greatly reduce the beneficial effect of the crossover.

So my recommendation for you is to go with a very restrictive single muffler with dual 1" inlets. That way my 6.2 SCrew will leave you even further behind when we drag at Silver Lake next year. mwahahaha!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
IRONMAN

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Ironman

Its always been my understanding that the Benefit of an X pipe type design is gas scavenging. Much like equal length header tubes, as an exhaust pulse travels threw the crossover it creates a low pressure that serves to pull the next exhaust pulse down the other tube. I suppose this depends on the design of the muffler internals, but I would think the turbulence in the muffler do to the baffling would at best greatly reduce the beneficial effect of the crossover.

So my recommendation for you is to go with a very restrictive single muffler with dual 1" inlets. That way my 6.2 SCrew will leave you even further behind when we drag at Silver Lake next year. mwahahaha!!!

hahahaa I started reading it and when I read 1" I was like WTF?!?!
Next year I'm going back to my BF's to kick ass at the dunes. These tires of mine did not do me justice this year.

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I'd probably go with an x pipe to replace the y, then 2 seperate mufflers

This is what I thought as well, just this guys designed the lightening exhaust I would think he knows what he's doing as well. He basically said that it would do about the same just clean up the bottom of the truck.

honestly i have no idea. as long as it has a point where it crosses over i think it will be good.

basically the reason for having an x/h pipe is, well easiest way to explain it is like this.

exhaust has pulses, and the two sides sort of alternate. so when one pulse of exhaust passes through the x/h pipe it help pull the other side along. making it exit faster and better. if that makes sense.

thats how i understand all the reading ive done on the subject anyways.

I also read this on forums as well, I'm just curious as to whats best for most HP gains.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the main thing is you can never go wrong working with Gary Cook!!! He is awesome on this stuff... Tell him a few guys from the EVB thunderbird engineering group said hi...