Viper 5901 alarm stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RevlimitrSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the family up to Baltimore last night and when I parked the truck and went to lock it the alarm didnt respond to any remote commands and I noticed the status light on the command box wasnt blinking. Since I couldnt properly diagnose on the spot I locked up using the keyless entry pad and went about my business.

Since the alarm was installed before I bought the truck I have no documentation other than the owners guide so I have no idea what I'm looking for. Any ideas where I should look for any fuses for the alarm or the brain module?

The alarm is the 5901 Responder Lc3

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its possible the remote lost communication with the brain. open a door, put the key into the ignition and turn on, then off. press and release the button on the antenna. if the led turns on and stays solid you just put the vehicle into valet mode. (this process needs to be done within 10 seconds) redo the process to get out of valet mode. this will determine if the alarm is still powered up and functional. if there is no response, then you have an issue with the wiring of the alarm. if the light turns on and the remote didnt get notification, most likely you will need to reprogram the remote to the alarm.

OP
OP
RevlimitrSVT

RevlimitrSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I did the valet thing like you suggested and when I took it back out of valet everything seemed to be working again, the response time for the remote is much better as well.

Thanks for the help 'busa!

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm, interesting. going in and out of valet mode shouldnt have any affect on remote pairing. however if the algorythm used in the remote and brain got unsynced, it would take a few presses of the button to get them synced back together. either way, im glad its working for you.

OP
OP
RevlimitrSVT

RevlimitrSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i took my boys to the doctor this afternoon and when I got out of the truck and locked the door I got the out of range buzzer again. If I push the lock button it shows the send&receive symbols then the x.
So I tried to put it in Valet mode and got nothing. I can only assume it's a loose connection somewhere and the only visible part of the alarm is the speaker under the hood.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the led didnt light up on the antenna? it could be the constant 12v wire or the ground. thats what the alarm needs to send an receive signal. if the alarm has power, then you might need to check the antenna or antenna cable.

OP
OP
RevlimitrSVT

RevlimitrSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No blue light, completely dead. I thought maybe it was a fuse (usually there is some sort of inline fuse) but I haven't been able to find it. Like I said the installer put extra effort into making this alarm invisible.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
RevlimitrSVT

RevlimitrSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 60amp fuse and inline holder were the culprit. The Was enough play in the fuse holder that when the fuse blew engine vibration would separate the filament and the alarm would lose power but when the engine was off thd fuse would make contact,"weld" itself back togetherand the alarm would work until vibration would break contact in the fuse again.

So after I located some replacement fuses I relocated the fuse holder and everything is working perfect.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4