homelink!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else had any trouble programming the homelink in the visor on the 2012s

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not have much of a problem programming, but the truck has to be right in front of the garage door to open and sometimes I have to fold the visor open to get it to work. My others I could use from the road. Not sure what the issue is.

c-ne-elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have my owners manual in front of me but there are 2 different systems in the 2012's and you have one or the other. Homelink and I don't remember the other "brand" but the programming instructions are different between the 2 types. Make sure you are using the program directions for the correct type that is in your truck.
I had no issue's in programing mine but it is not as strong as my '02 F-150 Homelink that I had in my last truck. Not as bad as Cparksjr describes on his but only works from about 25 yards away in my '12 but the one in my old F-150 worked from wayyyy down the street.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2012 here. Mine programmed the first try and works from way down the street. It puts the built in one in my wife's Mercedes to shame. Maybe I just lucked out.

JSIN138

Reaction score
I was unable to program my remotes following the Homelink instructions. I then dove back into the manual to learn that I don't have Homelink but a system called Car2U. After following the instructions for the Car2U system, Success!

1. Figure out which system you have. Homelink will have an image of a house on it. Car2U has no image, just 3 buttons & 3 small red LEDs.

Homelink
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1339478472.342891.jpg

Car2U
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1339478514.186148.jpg

2. Figure out if you are integrating with a fixed or rolling code garage door/gate system. Both Car2U & Homelink have different instructions for fixed & rolling code. If you are not sure which you are using, open the battery cover on your remote & look for a row of 8-12 dip switches. Those dip switches are used to set fixed codes. Fixed codes were used in most equipment manufactured before 1996. Newer equipment generally uses rolling code.

Here's the Car2U Programming:

Car2U - Fixed Code.
- This archaic process worked for me today.

1. You must write down the each fixed code in the following syntax.
L = a switch in the UP, ON, or + position
M = a switch in the Middle, neutral, or 0 position
R = a switch in the Down, Off, or - position

Example: my remote did not have a middle position so I had only L's & R's. If my switches were UP, UP, Down, Down, Up......, The sequence I wrote down was L, L, R, R, L...... Do this for all 8-12 switches for each remote you want to program.

2. Now to Programming, Press & hold all 3 buttons for a few seconds to enter programming mode - all buttons slowly flash.

3. Now you enter one of the codes from step 1, pressing the Left, Middle or Right buttons.

4. When the 8-12 button code has been entered, press & hold all 3 buttons for a few seconds.

5. Now, press & hold the button on the visor you wish to program until the door/gate opens, then release.

6. Press above button again to lock settings.
-------

Car2U Rolling Code
1. Press & hold outer 2 buttons for 2 secs.

2. Place the Opener in Learn Mode.
This does not refer to the remote (transmitter), but the actual opener (receiver). There's generally a button to press. Word of warning: Holding this button down for a while (10 secs-ish) will erase all remotes from the system & they will have to be reprogrammed individually.

3. Within 30 secs. of step 2 press & hold button on visor you wish to program.

4. Wait for door/gate to open, then release & press again within 1 sec. to lock in settings.
--------

For Homelink users it's a much easier process.

-Good Luck
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rockyfs

Reaction score
JSIN138, Thanks for the information. From this thread, it appears that I have the Car2U system. Mine does not have the house emblem, and the lights do not flash. It is not clear in the user manual for sure. Great to have this forum to figure things out. My next call would have been to Ford Service!

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JSIN138, Thanks for the information. From this thread, it appears that I have the Car2U system. Mine does not have the house emblem, and the lights do not flash. It is not clear in the user manual for sure. Great to have this forum to figure things out. My next call would have been to Ford Service!

This drove me nuts for a couple of hours. Here is what I know about Car2U:

1) It does not support as many types of openers as Homelink
2) It is actually easier to program *IF* you have a supported opener.
3) You are ***** if you do not have a supported opener.

I have a Chamberlain with rolling codes, the simple way to Program the opener is to follow the instructions to clear out the codes (it is something like holding outside buttons for 20 seconds).

Go to you opener and located the program button (if you have one, your life will be easy). Hit the program button, run back to your truck, press the button you want to program. If you opener is supported, the light will flash on the opener, acknowledging that it is linked. Let go when the light flashes on the opener and you are golden. Press the button again and your door should open/shut as expected.

The manuals instructions are a bit dicey to say the least.

Good luck.

rockyfs

Reaction score
Thanks much. Will try it tonight. I have a Genie Intellicode. Hopefully it will work.

TTOKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have car2u and a craftsman opener. I have followed the instructions in the manual (same as posted here) and the instructions on the opener and still having no luck. Any suggestions?

TT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter